• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

"Assisted Living Facility" Occupancy Group

What state are you in?

Makes a big difference.

For example Virginia ammends this to include up to 5 that are incapable of self preservation and up to 8 can be just a house (R-5)

and to complicate matters the other state agencies have quit using the term "Group homes" and instead use a variety of descripters like CRF-- Childrens Residential Facility.

Snipped from VA Ammendments 2006

R-4 Residential occupancies shall include buildings arranged for occupancy as residential care/assisted living facilities including more than five but not more than 16 occupants, excluding staff.

Group R-4 occupancies shall meet the requirements for construction as defined for Group R-3, except as otherwise provided for in this code, or shall comply with the International Residential Code with the additional requirement to provide an automatic sprinkler system in accordance with Section 903.2.7.

Exception: Group homes licensed by the Virginia Department of Mental Health, Mental Retardation and Substance Abuse Services or the Virginia Department of Social Services that house no more than eight persons with one or more resident counselors shall be classified as Group R-2, R-3, R-4 or R-5. Not more than five of the persons may require physical assistance from staff to respond to an emergency situation.

R-5 Residential occupancies in detached one- and two-family dwellings, townhouses and accessory structures within the scope of the International Residential Code, also referred to as the “IRC.”

Add Section 310.3 to the IBC to read:

310.3 Group R-5. The construction of Group R-5 structures shall comply with the IRC. The amendments to the IRC set out in Section 310.6 shall be made to the IRC for its use as part of this code. In addition, all references to Section 101.2 in the IBC relating to the construction of such structures subject to the IRC shall be considered to be references to this section.

Proper classification of any assisted living facility (I, R... aeiou).. is the toughest part of this job. So many variables (even in the I codes).. throw in state or local requirements, it's as clear as mud. It's tough because it depends on the rose colored glasses of the plan reviewer and the information provided by the applicant. I is always safer, because it allows for change, and generally provides more stringent standards upfront.

peach said:
Proper classification of any assisted living facility (I, R... aeiou).. is the toughest part of this job. So many variables (even in the I codes).. throw in state or local requirements, it's as clear as mud. It's tough because it depends on the rose colored glasses of the plan reviewer and the information provided by the applicant. I is always safer, because it allows for change, and generally provides more stringent standards upfront.
"I" has the possibility of indicating that personal freedoms of the occupants can be removed judged by a BO's interpretation of "inability".

Be careful.

It's really up to the plan reviewer to fight the fight... not the inspector. If you start as an R occupancy, it may be tough to change to I as the resident's condition change. The only option may be to make them move. There's more flexibility building to I in the first place.

peach said:
There's more flexibility building to I in the first place.
Probably true, but that is an interpretation based on what might happen in the future. If the applicant wants residential, I don't believe that interpretation is defensible.