• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

ASTM E119 & UL 263 rated doors

Mech

Does anyone know what manufacturer(s) make fire doors that are tested to ASTM E119 or UL 263?

Thanks

715.4.3 Door assemblies in corridors and smoke barriers. Fire door assemblies required to have a minimum fire protection rating of 20 minutes where located in corridor walls or smoke barrier walls having a fire-resistance rating in accordance with Table 715.4 shall be tested in accordance with NFPA 252 or UL 10C without the hose stream test.

Exceptions:

It is in the Openings in Fire Barriers section.

707.6 Openings. Openings in a fire barrier shall be protected in accordance with Section 715. Openings shall be limited to a maximum aggregate width of 25 percent of the length of the wall, and the maximum area of any single opening shall not exceed 156 square feet (15 m2). Openings in exit enclosures and exit passageways shall also comply with Sections 1022.3 and 1023.5, respectively.

Exceptions:

1. omitted

2. omitted

3. Openings shall not be limited to 156 square feet (15 m2) or an aggregate width of 25 percent of the length of the wall where the opening protective has been tested in accordance with ASTM E 119 or UL 263 and has a minimum fire-resistance rating not less than the fire-resistance rating of the wall.

4. omitted

5. omitted

So you are dealing with a fire barrier?

And you want more opening in it?

I took it he was asking about a wood door
No necessarily. Just need a plain old steel door at the basement / crawlspace. Internet search came up empty for me.I created separate fire areas for the existing basement and first floor. The bottom landing is on the exterior side of the basement wall and extends into a 3 ft wide opening cut in the wall. The door cannot be framed in this basement wall opening. Rather, it will be offset about 15 inches and the 15" long walls will be 2 hour fire rated construction. The 36" door opening in the 48" wide wall exceeds the 25% allowable opening, so I need the ASTM / UL rated door.Or would I use the entire stone basement wall length instead of the 4 ft stud wall? Then the opening percentage drops to 25% or less?View attachment 940

View attachment 940

/monthly_2013_11/bvi.jpg.5723dfa82f7dcb2543a8df985beb240e.jpg

Mech said:
No necessarily. Just need a plain old steel door at the basement / crawlspace. Internet search came up empty for me.I created separate fire areas for the existing basement and first floor. The bottom landing is on the exterior side of the basement wall and extends into a 3 ft wide opening cut in the wall. The door cannot be framed in this basement wall opening. Rather, it will be offset about 15 inches and the 15" long walls will be 2 hour fire rated construction. The 36" door opening in the 48" wide wall exceeds the 25% allowable opening, so I need the ASTM / UL rated door.

Or would I use the entire stone basement wall length instead of the 4 ft stud wall? Then the opening percentage drops to 25% or less?
I do not think the sections you referenced apply to a door but this one does

715.4.3 Door assemblies in corridors and smoke barriers. Fire door assemblies required to have a minimum fire protection rating of 20 minutes where located in corridor walls or smoke barrier walls having a fire-resistance rating in accordance with Table 715.4 shall be tested in accordance with NFPA 252 or UL 10C without the hose stream test.

Exceptions: