• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Attic Access - a new twist (you know you want to look)

Re: Attic Access - a new twist (you know you want to look)

mtlogcabin said:
If memory serves me correctly from the old SBCCI days privacy locks where required on bathrooms in SFR's so TJacobs brings up a valid point for brudgers scenerio
OK, let's say the second door opens into a family room, or a landing on the back stair, etc.

All considered less safe by the IRC than a third floor window.

kilitact said:
Section 1026 exception #6, allows exit access doors, so if this door in the bathroom opened directly into a public way etc it would meet IBC code requirements in lieu of an EERO. I believe it would also comply with IRC
Nope. No such exception in the IRC.

brudgers said:
kilitact said:
Section 1026 exception #6, allows exit access doors, so if this door in the bathroom opened directly into a public way etc it would meet IBC code requirements in lieu of an EERO. I believe it would also comply with IRC
Nope. No such exception in the IRC.

An exception is not needed in the IRC. R310.1 Emergency escape and rescue required.

Basements and every sleeping room shall have at least one operable emergency and rescue opening. Such opening shall open directly into a public street, public alley, yard or court.

This "operable opening" can be a window, sliding door, swinging door or a pet door as long as it meets the minimum opening and sq ft demensions required by code and is located in the sleeping room and not an adjacent bedroom or family room.

WOW! We jumped from access to a unconditioned, unoccupiable attic space, to a discussion on EERO's............. hmmmmm :?