1. Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by clicking here: Upgrades
    Dismiss Notice

Attic Renovation - First time posting

Discussion in 'Residential Structural Codes' started by Daniel McCamy, Apr 17, 2020.

1. Enri Code

Enri Code Sawhorse

Wow. You are lucky to have that house to enjoy.
    The sheer amount of hard work and craftsmanship needed to put a structure together in the 1900s is just amazing.

On the sillier side, imagine the same crew in the late 1890s finally finishing the house and ready to head back to their families when suddenly... a guy suggests that they stay a couple of days longer and work some more hours to add more bracing inside a turret... no reason... but just to mess with the future homeowner 120 plus years from then...

I'm sure the foreman would have calmly walked towards the same guy and introduce him to a beautifully crafted Winchester shotgun and the word "no". :p:D

On the serious side though, not really knowing how they did work back then, I think I get what the OP was saying in that it may be that some members may possibly just have been scaffolding. To be fair, it is really hard to judge anything virtually with just a short video.

Of course, that doesn't change the importance of getting a professional so as not to leave safety to chance.

JPohling likes this.
  2. ADAguy

ADAguy Registered User

On a dissimilar note, our CA 1905 1 mile from the Sierra Madre fault has grade stamped, net dimension clear redwood board and batten framing (no studs!) on a stone foundation that has withstood every quake to date. Older than a Model T and still running. Yes, builders knew how to build back then.

Enri Code and JPohling like this.
  3. JPohling

JPohling Sawhorse

Yes we are blessed to be able to take care of this house. Here is a picture of it as it is just being completed in 1912. love the wheelbarrow.
    IMG_2370.jpg

my250r11 and Enri Code like this.
  4. Enri Code

Enri Code Sawhorse

Having a photo of the house as it was in 1912 being worked on... wow...

JPohling likes this.
  5. ADAguy

ADAguy Registered User

What a difference 7 years makes, you have sidewalks and a poured foundation.