• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

audible confirmation required for access control?

JPohling

Sawhorse
Really going to put this back on the manufacturer but it may be a combination of manufacturer's and I want to make sure I understand the code.

The condition is always in California and always at the primary entrance to a banking facility. For secuity reasons at several branch locations the primary entrance doors are locked and have a doorbell like device. Typically an AIPhone intercom access control device. There has been many instances when the customers were not aware that the door had been unlocked for them and it was OK to proceed. The thinking is to have an additional visual light depiction that would go from the RED= Locked condition to a GREEN=unlocked condition for further clarification.

The question I have is would we also at that point need to also provide an audible alert that would confirm what the visual light was conveying?

My gut would say yes of course, but I am not able to confirm that thru my initial code research. 2022 CBC would be the building code, but would also like to be in compliance with ADA to eliminate any lawsuit opportunities. Interested to hear your experiences in this regard.

I don't believe CBC directly addresses what you want to do, at least not in 11B (not sure where else it could be...). Maybe CBC 11B-230 if you include an audible alert, depending on how you define "two-way communication". I don't believe you're required by code to have an audible device in this situation though.

I work on banks with similar system and our client has received feedback for years about how their system can be a bit confusing. That said, they want to stick with what they have since it complies with the ADA. We tried adding a vertical actuation bar a few years ago at the client's request and that just lead to a lot more confusion (and worry about lawsuits). In the end, the bank revised their "doorbell sign" to state that after ringing the doorbell, the customer should wait three seconds before attempting to open the door. Seems to have cut the complaints down a little bit.