• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Available Fault Current label

Mr. Inspector

SAWHORSE
The field marking language of the 2014 NEC 110.24 states, “Service equipment in other than dwelling units shall be legibly marked in the field with the maximum available fault current. The field marking(s) shall include the date the fault current calculation was performed and be of sufficient durability to withstand the environment involved”

I have yet do an commercial service inspection where they had the max. Available Fault Current marked when I get there since I was an electrical inspector for almost 20 years. They always say no one ever required this before. This time I believe them because I never saw an existing service that had the Available Fault Current label.

Also it seems to be asking to much but their is no exception for any services not to have the Available Fault Current marked, like a small 100 amp 1 phase service for a sign or traffic light.

Sometimes the power company is sitting there waiting for me to approve the inspection for a change out and I feel pressured to pass the inspection without the Available Fault Current label.

How do other inspectors handle this?

If there is any communication prior to a final inspection, I mention it then. Otherwise the work fails.....every time. And yes, I’m pretty sure that I am the one that introduced this to California because not once has an electrician known about it.

I
Pass the inspection, just don't final/ close the permit....
I do that when they do have a permit. however they don't always need a permit. Agriculture buildings and reintroduction of power does not require a permit. Also somtimes the BCO does not require a permit for small commercial services.