• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

B occupancy vs S-1 or S-2

nealderidder

Sawhorse
Consider a single story building with 20,000 SF of B occupancy and 10,000 of an S occupancy (this is all hypothetical). If the S occupancy were classified as an S-1 and stored rolls of paper, no fire separation would be required between the B and S.

If the S occupancy were classified as an S-2 (lower hazard than S-1) and stored cans of beans, a one hour separation would be required between the B and S.

Why would I need to protect the B from the Beans but not from the paper? Or is it the other way around and I need to protect the Beans from the hazards in the B occupancy? On the surface it doesn't seem logical to add a separation requirement when I go to less hazardous storage. I'm guessing I'm missing something obvious?

You are not missing anything, you just haven't accepted it.

A long time ago, an instructor at a class I attended describe low-hazard storage as storing iron ingots in steel pails filled with water. His point was that most storage occupancies will be moderate hazard. Per the table for occupancy separations, moderate hazard storage is viewed by the code as being equal in fire hazard to business occupancies.

Since low-hazard storage is, by definition as well as by code, a lower hazard than moderate-hazard, then low-hazard storage must necessarily be less hazardous than a business occupancy. So you guess it -- the separation isn't to protect the B occupancy from the S-2 occupancy, it's to protect the S-2 from the B.

You are not missing anything, you just haven't accepted it.

A long time ago, an instructor at a class I attended describe low-hazard storage as storing iron ingots in steel pails filled with water. His point was that most storage occupancies will be moderate hazard. Per the table for occupancy separations, moderate hazard storage is viewed by the code as being equal in fire hazard to business occupancies.

Since low-hazard storage is, by definition as well as by code, a lower hazard than moderate-hazard, then low-hazard storage must necessarily be less hazardous than a business occupancy. So you guess it -- the separation isn't to protect the B occupancy from the S-2 occupancy, it's to protect the S-2 from the B.
Makes sense really. I just have it in my head that storage is more hazardous than business... I'm sure the Fire Dept. would be happy if we only stored iron in pails of water : ) There is a long list of low-hazard items listed in 311.3 other than that but I get your point. Thanks for the reply.