• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

B- OCCupancy

RJJ

Co-Founder
I have an existing craft store now changing to a Tanning Salon.

The unit is 2100sf. The accessible route to primary function and bath room complies.

The store will now have small rooms total of 9 that will be utilized for tanning and assorted grooming functions.

Do the tanning bed need to be accessible? I would tend to think that 5% of the rooms and dressing facilities need to be accessible. Do the make an accessible tanning bed.

The rooms containing the tanning beds need to be accessible.

Tanning beds are movable equipment and their accessibility falls outside the scope of the Building Code.

brudgers,

where is this addressed in the code? I have a tanning salon adding rooms as well and I told the contractor the rooms need to meet ADA requirements as in door widths, floor thresholds and wheelchair movement inside the room. I did not require any grab bars, could not figure out how they could be of use.

pc1

A Tanning salon needs to provide 5 percent, but no fewer than one accessible room, a van-accessible parking space, ramps, as necessary and modify the doorways, as necessary, to make the entrance accessible, lowered service counter and provide an accessible unisex toilet room.

mark handler said:
A Tanning salon needs to provide 5 percent, but no fewer than one accessible room, a van-accessible parking space, ramps, as necessary and modify the doorways, as necessary, to make the entrance accessible, lowered service counter and provide an accessible unisex toilet room.
A Tanning salon cannot construct inaccessible rooms - e.g. doors with knobs or without the required clear floor area.

The parking, accessible route to primary function all comply. The Bath room will comply. ( A few minor adjustments to be made) I agree that 5% of the new rooms must comply.

So I would conclude that a bench, Turning radius would need to be provided. Grab bars? what section of the code or standard? The bed how would this be addressed?

You do not need Grab bars, and the employees should not assist the transfer of people to/from the bed, that is a liability issue.

Just like a bed in a hotel room, It is up to the owner to comply with the "Access compliance" to the bed

Last edited by a moderator:
The only disagreement seems to be whether the number of accessible rooms must be 5% or all of them. The last DBTAC/Access Board webinar raised this issue. According to them, all the rooms must be accessible. But as noted above, the tanning beds are furniture and only built-in furnishings are covered by the feds. There is no transfer requirement. Mark's right. That's the client's responsibility at this time.

That is interesting Gene! So if all rooms have an accessible route, Door and Handle & turning radius then I believe the bar has been meet. Would there be special signage hidden in the regs some place?

There is only signage required when not everything is accessible. If all rooms meet the criteria then there is no special "accessible room" signage - only the standard tactile signage for permanent room signs.

Gene Boecker said:
The only disagreement seems to be whether the number of accessible rooms must be 5% or all of them. The last DBTAC/Access Board webinar raised this issue. According to them, all the rooms must be accessible. But as noted above, the tanning beds are furniture and only built-in furnishings are covered by the feds. There is no transfer requirement. Mark's right. That's the client's responsibility at this time.
Gene, that maybe the way they want it, now, but it is not the way the ADAAG, or any, Wriien Documentation calls it.