• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

backflow ice machine

• Frostbite from ice maker
  • Scalding from coffee maker
  • Coffee breath
  • Being crushed by a falling icemaker
  • Dropping a full pot of coffee on your foot.
  • Getting your eye poked by an ice cube draining the last drop of lemonade from your glass
  • Someone replacing the Peruvian Organic Dark Roast with Folgers
  • Getting yelled at by the boss for hanging around the break room
  • Brain Freeze
  • Banging your knee on the backflow preventer
Um – Sorry, you meant what hazards are prevented by not having a backflow preventer? Not getting a permit is the only one I can come up with.

Ok, I suppose an abandoned icemaker/coffee maker could get really nasty after a while, or a carelessworker could contaminate the ice resevoir and this might be sucked back into the water supply.

I agree with the Doc.....possible backflow and contamination from scanky fixtures.......

=

The threat is from "contamination" of the potable water

supplied to these fixtures......The actual "contamination"

can come from a variety of sources......See Section 608

in the `06 IPC.

That "Dr. J" is a deep thinker huh! :cool:

=

Any documented cases of the water supply being contaminated? I found some history of ice bins being skanky. Hate to require something at a cost of $200 plus $80/year testing and a high failure rate to keep the coffee out of my water.

= =

JMORRISON,

Typically, not much is going to get reported......That would mean someone might

become a target and a reason to be terminated.

You might try the local health department in your locale for some statistical

data.

$ ( ) $