• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Bar/Tavern help

So I decided to change my route and go cold sandwiches route and a microwave to try to prevent needed exhaust and Make-up Air, and to get open and get cash flow to fix the exhaust problem later.
Dishwasher is low temp undercounter, so don’t create much steam these days, and are supposed to be exempt from needing hood systems or exhaust. Can anyone tell me if the interpretation of the Oregon mechanical code 507, where it uses the word “cooking appliance”. Does that mean an appliance that actually COOKS food rather than reheating it? Is a microwave actually considered a “cooking device”. Even with it the requirements to exhaust would be 300 CFM or even less, is there a threshold of where the required amount is to small to require the exhaust? Thanks for helping me understand the language these words actually represent.

You stated the AutoFry machine is exempt from the hood requirements because it has an integrated ansul system. But what about the MultiChef Oven and Panini grill? Are you sure they are also exempt from requiring a hood? They may not need a type 1 hood, but they may need a type 2 hood.

You also need to look into the energy code impacts on the exhaust / make up air. If your pulling out a lot of exhaust air you may be required to provide some sort of heat recovery on that exhaust air.
It has a integral exhaust system as well which exhaust through a charcoal filter. They have been around for over 10 years and are built for the industry with the intention of no hood system or exhaust. For small food establishments, gas stations, etcetera. I can’t figure out why a small domestic panini grill that does one sandwich at a time would need a hood system. It’s essentially a toaster, would a toaster require hood? When food is less than 30 percent of sales, but food is required, your talking maybe 20-40 meals a day. Think of the ovens subway restaurants use, that’s a TurboChef which doesn’t require hood and is very similar to MultiChef. Quiznos used conveyor toasters, which don’t require hood. The food I’m trying to do is done with similar equipment, but cause inspector has never had to deal with it in our small town, he doesn’t understand how it all works.

Not on that side but no exhaust should be needed

Look at a Starbucks and how they warm stuff

The 2006 IMC did not require a type 2 hood for a single electric light duty microwave oven if the heat/moisture generated by those unhooded appliances was considered in the HVAC load calculations (507.2.2, exception 3). This section has been removed in subsequent codes, I've recently been reading the IPMC and section 403.3 stats that devices such as coffee pots and microwave ovens shall not be considered cooking appliances.

I agree with CDA. I've done a few restaurants with microwaves and never installed a hood over them.

The turbochef that is used by some of the stores you mentioned has a built in catalytic filtration type device that limits the output of grease, that is why it is generally exempt. You are also limited to the type of foods that can be cooked for it to maintain its ventless certification.