• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Baseboard Heater within 6" of Shower Pan

Rebecca Davis

I did a rental inspection recently on a home that was a complete remodel with building permit and noted that there are baseboard heaters in the bathroom located withing 6" from the edge of the shower pan. I am looking for information to guide me as to whether or not this could be considered a wet/damp location and use NEC Code 424.12 (b) to require documentation of being approved for a damp/wet location, as a lighting fixture within the Restricted Zone demonstrated in Exhibit 410.1and specified in 410.4 (A) would require.
However, I'm not sure that I can qualify it as a damp/wet location by the definition alone. Is there any other code that could support this?
Thanks.

How is a baseboard heater a lighting fixture? NEC (NFPA 70) Article 410 is specific to luminaires, lampholders, and lamps.

Instead of Article 410, perhaps consider Article 424 - Fixed Electric Space-Heating Equipment.

424.12 Locations

(A) Exposed to Physical Damage

Where subject to physical damage, fixed electric space-heating equipment shall be protected in an approved manner.

(B) Damp or Wet Locations

Heaters and related equipment installed in damp or wet locations shall be listed for such locations.
Informational Note No. 1: See 110.11 for equipment exposed to deteriorating agents.
Informational Note No. 2: See 680.27(C) for pool deck areas.
Location, Damp. (Damp Location) Locations protected from weather and not subject to saturation with water or other liquids but subject to moderate degrees of moisture. (CMP—1)
Informational Note: Examples of such locations include partially protected locations under canopies, marquees, roofed open porches, and like locations, and interior locations subject to moderate degrees of moisture, such as some basements, some barns, and some cold-storage warehouses.
Location, Wet. (Wet Location) A location that is one or more of the following:
  1. Unprotected and exposed to weather
  2. Subject to saturation with water and other liquids
  3. Underground
  4. In concrete slabs or masonry in direct contact with the earth
(CMP—1)
Informational Note: A vehicle washing area is an example of a wet location saturated with water or other liquids.

Instead of Article 410, perhaps consider Article 424 - Fixed Electric Space-Heating Equipment.

424.12 Locations

(A) Exposed to Physical Damage

Where subject to physical damage, fixed electric space-heating equipment shall be protected in an approved manner.

(B) Damp or Wet Locations

Heaters and related equipment installed in damp or wet locations shall be listed for such locations.
Informational Note No. 1: See 110.11 for equipment exposed to deteriorating agents.
Informational Note No. 2: See 680.27(C) for pool deck areas.
Location, Damp. (Damp Location) Locations protected from weather and not subject to saturation with water or other liquids but subject to moderate degrees of moisture. (CMP—1)
Informational Note: Examples of such locations include partially protected locations under canopies, marquees, roofed open porches, and like locations, and interior locations subject to moderate degrees of moisture, such as some basements, some barns, and some cold-storage warehouses.
Location, Wet. (Wet Location) A location that is one or more of the following:
  1. Unprotected and exposed to weather
  2. Subject to saturation with water and other liquids
  3. Underground
  4. In concrete slabs or masonry in direct contact with the earth
(CMP—1)
Informational Note: A vehicle washing area is an example of a wet location saturated with water or other liquids.
Had that...

and use NEC Code 424.12 (b) to require documentation

Do the installation instructions mention bathrooms or damp locations?

CEC 210.8(A) lists the locations where a receptacle would require GFCI protection. The first on the list of locations is bathrooms and the last is indoor damp or wet locations. That is an indication that a bathroom is not considered to be a damp location.

I agree with your concern and I would not have an electric baseboard heater 6” from a shower pan however, lacking anything from the manufacturer that would prevent it…. Well I think that you can’t turn it down…. Yet.

This is from installation instructions:
The large font is because I couldn’t copy and paste so I did a screen shot.

1700101943104.png

Bare feet and towel racks could be an issue. There was no mention of a bathroom or a damp/wet location.

Last edited: