• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Basement Egress Window

AaronA

I have a utility basement that I would like to convert into habitable space. I would need to put in another egress. My window sills are at 56” and the windows are right near grade. Is it possible to mount a ladder inside ( like attached) or build interior stairs to make up the 12” so I don’t have to bust up the foundation?

If so, can you direct me to any code supporting this?

Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_8082.png
    IMG_8082.png
    222.3 KB · Views: 4
Deleted…….

There is a simple, foolproof way to beat the requirements and I posted it. But then Prudence took over and demanded that I delete it. Shirley you understand.

I’m pretty sure that there are others out there in the ether that know the trick … please don’t go there.

Last edited:
Deleted…….

There is a simple, foolproof way to beat the requirements and I posted it. But then Prudence took over and demanded that I delete it. Shirley you understand.

I’m pretty sure that there are others out there in the ether that know the trick … please don’t go there.
I still plan on doing egress from the inside in this fasion. Thank you! You did good!

Attachments

• IMG_8082.png
    IMG_8082.png
    222.3 KB · Views: 1
Deleted…….

Would it be considered a change in occupancy to go from a utility basement to a habitable space?

It won’t. I am changing occupancy so will have to cut the foundation. It is a 100 year old house. Is it too risky to get into it?

Would it be considered a change in occupancy to go from a utility basement to a habitable space?
No it would not be a change of occupancy. Your question causes me to question whether you saw the post that I deleted?

I saw the original. My thought was, this guy changed my life!!! I have been dealing with a lot of nonsence. Money is melting away. This is my first big project and there have been a lot of sleepless nights. I could really use a win.

Can you tell me why it is not a change of occupancy?

I saw the original. My thought was, this guy changed my life!!! I have been dealing with a lot of nonsence. Money is melting away. This is my first big project and there have been a lot of sleepless nights. I could really use a win.

Can you tell me why it is not a change of occupancy?
It’s a hole in the code that can get people killed. If you use it to get around a code, you will be rolling the dice for a few dollars. I took it down because it is wrong and hopefully any inspector that you encounter will see it for what it is.

It’s not a change of occupancy because it’s the basement of a dwelling.

I am going to alarm everything and add some type of interior stair or ladder. I need 12” more to get to 44”.

You really don’t like the wall mount ladder? I think it will be easier to exit and window will meet the 5’7 opening. The basement is 450 sf all open. No bedrooms.

Can you cite which codes exempt basements from the occupancy clause?

Nobody can stop you, but if it were in my jurisdiction, it would be noted on the permit, plans and in the address file that the room did not meet the requirements for a sleeping room and should not be used, or marketed as such.

A 3 ft. x 3 ft. x 12" high platform with a step up to it MIGHT be acceptable if the clear opening of the window is 27" x 32".

These are called Emergency Escape and Rescue Openings because they are intended for firemen in flameproof suits, helmets, air tanks, etc. to get into a basement to rescue occupants who may have passed out or not have the mobility to get out, as well as for occupants to escape.

Can you cite which codes exempt basements from the occupancy clause?
It is all the same occupancy. If a portion of that occupancy is proposed to undergo a change of use, that brings in requirements.