• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Bathtub near exterior window

Inspector Gadget

We had an interesting discussion in our shop today, relating to a plan where a bathtub is located right up against a 6' tall exterior window. Single-family dwelling, so under the exemptions of 9.8.8.1(5) of 2015 NBC, a guard is not required.

However, there's an argument to be made that the window is part of what can (if not must) be considered an "enclosure" and thus requires safety glass by 9.6.1.4(6).

Thoughts?

What kind of tub? Free-standing clawfoot? Japanese soaking tub? Modern acrylic alcove tub?

You're kind of getting into two separate things. The guards clause only kicks in if the window opens more than 4" and is far enough off the ground. It's not intended impact protection as a fixed window would not require guards. The exemption you are referencing has been removed from the 2020 version.

If you are making a determination that this is the official position of the jurisdiction, it would apply to all cases where glazing is provided adjacent to a tub. To selectively enforce this would encourage liability. A strict reading of the code would indicate that this would include all glazings adjacent to the tub, regardless of size or location. All would need to be of safety glazing. My concerns are obvious related to unintended consequences on enforcement regime are obvious. With this interpretation, even skylights would need to be rated.

Safety glazing around a tub or shower have to be Class A rated, which is the highest rating. I'm not sure if there is a glazing system that would meet this along with energy and NAFS requirements.

If you are making a determination that this is the official position of the jurisdiction, it would apply to all cases where glazing is provided adjacent to a tub. To selectively enforce this would encourage liability. A strict reading of the code would indicate that this would include all glazings adjacent to the tub, regardless of size or location. All would need to be of safety glazing. My concerns are obvious related to unintended consequences on enforcement regime are obvious. With this interpretation, even skylights would need to be rated.

Safety glazing around a tub or shower have to be Class A rated, which is the highest rating. I'm not sure if there is a glazing system that would meet this along with energy and NAFS requirements.

That's kind of where I stand, but I - for the sake of discussion - argued the opposite point and led myself to asking the question. Thanks for the feedback.