• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

BATHTUB TRAP LOCATION

California is in bold and when I click on it it takes me to you California guys post like conarb and ICE, kinda a short cut I guess?

That Jar, always up to something!:D

The IPC doesn't require a trap to be directly below a sink (or tub or shower drain or bathtub) although most of the time, that is where they usually are. See the base paragraph of Section 1002.1.

Can a trap be concealed? Certainly, as long as it does not have slip joint connections. Note that some tub waste/overflow assemblies ARE slip-joint connected.....whoops! Don't use those type over you will need to provide access. Use solvent-cemented fittings or soldered fittings.

NOW for the $64,000 question: What if the piping is 1 1/2 inch cast iron installed with no-hub couplings.......These couplings are, technically, not slip joints and therefore are not subject to access panel requirements.