• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

bleacher concrete spalling

BSSTG

Gold Member
Folks,

I see it as maintenance to repair spalling on our high school stadium. IBC sect 105.1 states permits are required for repairs when the items are regulated by the Code. I am not familiar with ACI 318 so I don't know if it applies or not. What do you folks think?

2012 I Codes

BSSTG

David Henderson said:
BSSTG spalling can be caused by several different things, poor design, rust, freezing, and thawing. what type of surface?
40 year old concrete bleachers

BS

0 * 0 * 0

BSSTG,

Did you also adopt the `12 IPMC [ RE: Section 306.1.1, No. 2,

Sub-section No. 2.5 - spalling ] ?........Also, Section 301.2

requires the Owners to maintain the exterior structures &

property areas.

0 * 0 * 0

Is the concrete an on grade structure or is it elevated. IF elevated need full engineering evaluation to see if structurally sound.

Frank said:
Is the concrete an on grade structure or is it elevated. IF elevated need full engineering evaluation to see if structurally sound.
It has been engineered.

BS

ACI 318 won't apply at all. However the concrete manual should give some pretty good insight. The only fix will probably require all the bad concrete to be removed, and replaced, don't know of any other way.

The way I see it, we have two options:

1) Conduct a thorough forensic study and determine the extent of the damage to the rebar. Unfortunately, this will require damage to the structure. But that's okay. We can rebuild it all new again.

2) Make good use of the vinyl polymer FlexKrete - which has a compressive strength of 10,000 psi. That should retard the rust action on the rebar.