• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Body Shop Occupancy!

Re: Body Shop Occupancy!

RJJ,

Possibly an S-1 ( see Section 311.2 in the `06 IBC ) as long as they do not plan to exceed

the allowable quantities of hazardous materials listed in Table 307.1(1) in the `06 IBC.

The spray booth should have its own restrictive requirements - - see Chapter 15 in the

`06 IFC.

The introduction of a spray booth does not warrant a Group H classification. By definition, a spray booth is an appliance - the only way you can get to a Group H-2 is to exceed the MAQ and to construct a spray room.

I agree with Globe Trekker: It's a S-1 unless you have a large amount of hazardous materials, which is pretty unusual given that this industry only purchases what they consume.

It seems that they are proposing to use or generate less then 220 lbs a month based on the waste hauler report/contract I just received. This will keep them out of EPA issues. And the new pdf plan has been revised down in total area.

RJJ,

As long as they have approved type of fire [ storage ] cabinets for the materials,

you should be able to classify it as an S-1.

The plans DO have rated wall separations planned for the "addition-to-the-existing

-building", ...yes?

It seems that the revised plan went from a 2600 sf room to an actual booth. Storage and containment issues I guess will be addressed. I hate these pdf's the design guys fire out for a first response. Half baked junk!

Repair shop with a booth I would have gone the first time with S1.