• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Boiler location in old existing house

JimmyTreeX

My co-worker ran into this boiler in an inspection and he had some questions. I looked up the code but there is of course a lot of info (or I just over complicate everything), so I figured I’d come to my favorite code forum. This boiler was installed many years ago, it’s in an old existing 2-family house that was owner occupied, and has had no significant work done to it in several decades. Besides the curtain and garbage can, there is nothing we can do about this since it’s existing right? It’s installed properly, we just had questions on it’s location mainly. The wall and ceiling adjacent is not fire rated to todays standards, but I was under the assumption that as long as it was up to code when it was installed, we can’t make them change anything until they have to replace the boiler or do signifcant rehab work to the building. Thoughts?

IMG_6211.jpegIMG_6212.jpegIMG_6213.jpeg

I wouldn't touch it at this point.

If it was illegal when it was installed, then technically it is still illegal and technically you could do something about it - if you're bad enough to make it stick without getting overruled. If it was legal when it was installed, it's still legal.

If it was not within the scope of work the inspection was called for, walk away, existing condition.

If it was not within the scope of work the inspection was called for, walk away, existing condition.
If you see a dangerous condition you shall act accordingly. That holds true with any dangerous condition whether you were supposed to be inspecting the item or not.

In the next two pictures, I was not there to inspect a water heater. The first one had no permit and the T&P was a violation. The second has no vent. The first one skated .. the second was written up ... but only for the vent.

IMG_0033.JPG

IMG_8571.JPG

Last edited:
The curtain definitely has to go, but other than that, I'm not seeing where the actual location is a code violation, at least in the I-codes unless there's a bed, toilet, or shower somewhere in that room I'm not seeing....