1. ATTENTION returning members. If you are coming here from the old forum for the first time, you will need to reset you password. However, we had an email problem getting password reset links set out to a lot of the email addresses. That problem is temporarily rectified but IF you still have an issue, email me direct at info@thebuildingcodeforum.com and I will give you a temporary password.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by clicking here: Upgrades
    Dismiss Notice

Boosting a Dryer Vent

Discussion in 'Mechanical Codes' started by jar546, Aug 15, 2019 at 9:23 PM.

1. jar546

jar546 *****istrator

Yes, this was installed on a dryer vent that was about 36' from the dryer connection to the exterior. This was used as a booster. Thoughts? Code Compliance? You can ignore the non-compliant, upside-down, exposed, paper-faced insulation. That is a topic for another discussion.

IMG_9906.JPG

2. Msradell

Msradell Sawhorse

It's hard to tell what kind of fan that is. It looks more like a radon exhaust fan than anything else but it could be in HVAC duct booster fan. Either way it's not designed for this purpose. I'd be very interested to know how they are turning it on (manually or automatically) but in either case I'm sure it's not intended for that kind of use. As far as code compliance goes I'm not really sure.

3. tmurray

tmurray Sawhorse

The other question is is it designed to be in contact with the insulation?

jar546 likes this.
  4. mark handler

mark handler Sawhorse

5. mtlogcabin

mtlogcabin Sawhorse

No where in the code 2012 editions does it address booster fans for residential dryer systems. It is a maximum 35 ft length or what the manufacture of the dryer specifies.

IMC 2012
    504.6.4.2 Manufacturer’s instructions.
    The maximum length of the exhaust duct shall be determined by the dryer manufacturer’s installation instructions. The code official shall be provided with a copy of the installation instructions for the make and model of the dryer. Where the exhaust duct is to be concealed, the installation instructions shall be provided to the code official prior to the concealment inspection. In the absence of fitting equivalent length calculations from the clothes dryer manufacturer, Table 504.6.4.1 shall be used.

I see the 2018 does allow booster fans. We should have those adopted about January

M1502.4.4 Dryer exhaust duct power ventilators.
    Domestic dryer exhaust duct power ventilators shall conform to UL 705 for use in dryer exhaust duct systems. The dryer exhaust duct power ventilator shall be installed in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions.

6. fatboy

fatboy Administrator

Last time I checked, there were no listed booster fans...….the motors are the problem, so I have been told.

7. Pcinspector1

Pcinspector1 Platinum Member

The fan support bracket looks legit for a fantech dryer booster fan.

8. Ty J.

Ty J. Sawhorse

How about the unlisted duct tape as well? If it is listed, the foil side will be marked(labeled).

M1601.4.1 Joints, Seams and Connections (paraphrased)
    Longitudinal and transverse joints, seams and connections in metallic and nonmetallic ducts shall be constructed as specified in SMACNA HVAC Duct Construction Standards‒Metal and Flexible and NAIMA Fibrous Glass Duct Construction Standards. Joints, longitudinal and transverse seams, and connections in ductwork shall be securely fastened and sealed with welds, gaskets, mastics (adhesives), mastic-plus-embedded-fabric systems, liquid sealants or tapes. Tapes and mastics used to seal fibrous glass ductwork shall be listed and labeled in accordance with UL 181A and shall be marked "181A-P" for pressure-sensitive tape, "181 A-M" for mastic or "181 A-H" for heat-sensitive tape.

9. Ty J.

Ty J. Sawhorse

fatboy likes this.
  10. mark handler

mark handler Sawhorse

11. ADAguy

ADAguy Sawhorse

Anyone concerned about inline obstruction due to lint collection on fan blades? How do you service it?

Msradell likes this.
  12. mark handler

mark handler Sawhorse

You must have access, and that is why a bath inline will not work for a laundry vent

13. ADAguy

ADAguy Sawhorse