• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Boot Cleaner - Indirect Waste Connection?

Mech

2009 IPC

Boot cleaning device with potable water and sanitary connections

Can this discharge indirectly to a floor sink or must it be connected directly to the sanitary piping? It has a soap detergent injector so maybe that will dictate a direct sanitary connection.

802.1 Where required. Food-handling equipment and clear-water waste shall discharge through an indirect waste pipe as specified in Sections 802.1.1 through 802.1.8. All health-care related fixtures, devices and equipment shall discharge to the drainage system through an indirect waste pipe by means of an air gap in accordance with this chapter and Section 713.3.Fixtures not required by this section to be indirectly connected shall be directly connected to the plumbing system in accordance with Chapter 7.

I looked in Chapter 7 but did not find where fixtures must be directly connected.

Thanks

# : # : # : #

Mech,

IMO, ...Section 802.1.7 [ Commercial dishwashing ] most closely

resembles your application [ i.e. - an indirect connection is required

through an air gap or air break ], unless your Boot Washing process

involves removal of a large quantity of oils & grease from the boots.

# : # : # : #

You can't wash boots and discharge the sludge to the sanitary sewer system. I clean mine in the back yard with a hose. If I took them to a sink...even the laundry sink, I would catch Hell for that.

Whatever is being cleaned from the boots shall be intercepted, collected and disposed of. I suppose if nobody's looking, you could flush it down the toilet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like you need a waste receptor with a strainer...as stated you wouldn't want that mud going to the sanitary system. The boot washer is not a fixture and thus, Section 802.1.8 doesn't seem to apply. If the boot washer (and I haven't ever seen such a thing) had an internal strainer to prevent mud and stones from going into the system, I don't see why the discharge could be connected directly. In concept, it is like a lint strainer or laundry interceptor. Both connect directly but internally, there is straining of unwanted materials.

What does the manufacturer say?
That's a good question. I was only forwarded a cut sheet from the (wo)man who draws with pencil. It is British equipment and I did not read their plumbing code to determine what they would require. And I did not find a toll free overseas phone number to call to ask for clarification.

Before I could ask for more information from the pencil holder during our meeting this week, I was told the boot cleaners will no longer be installed; so at the moment I do not need to worry about them.

Of course, next month I will be told they are being installed again.

The cleaners are being used in a food manufacturing plant, so heavy debris should not be an issue. There is a separate process sanitary waste line going to a grease trap / interceptor that they could be piped into.