• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Booth vs Bench Seating

ccanney

Hello,
We are working on an A-2 restaurant project in the Bay Area of California. The dining room contains a combination of tables/chairs, Pullman Booths, and Banquettes. Our plan checker is noting that we need to calculate the banquette seating as a bench at 1 occupant per 18" as opposed to a booth at 1 occupant per 24". I don't see anything in the code definitions that clearly distinguish between banquette seating and booth seating. We have bench seating in our waiting room that is calc'd at 1 per 18" but I would argue that a banquette seat used for dining has the same use as a booth and should be calc'd at 1 per 24". It is not feasible to accommodate a diner in 18" of space. If so I would assume booths to be calculated at the 18" ratio. Before raising an objection to our plan checker I am hoping to get some feedback from the forum community.

It is not feasible to accommodate a diner in 18" of space.
I agree, 18" is to close for even church pews IMHO. If you are sitting at a table to eat it should be a minimum 24" width for OL determination for Banquettes, booth or bench style seating.

From my perspective as a 37 year member of NFPAs Assembly Occupancy Committee, I'd say 18" and have never heard of a booth seating dimension. As far as right or wrong, a bunch of young children will fit in 18" or less. I also don't think it makes much different in a restaurant. Might make a tiny difference in a gym, arena, or stadium full of bench seats. A change has been proposed and considered by the committee several times, and the young children count has persuaded the committee to keep it at 18".

From my perspective as a 37 year member of NFPAs Assembly Occupancy Committee, I'd say 18" and have never heard of a booth seating dimension. As far as right or wrong, a bunch of young children will fit in 18" or less. I also don't think it makes much different in a restaurant. Might make a tiny difference in a gym, arena, or stadium full of bench seats. A change has been proposed and considered by the committee several times, and the young children count has persuaded the committee to keep it at 18".
Thanks for the input. CBC 1004.6 notes "The occupant load of seating booths shall be based on one person for each 24 inches (610 mm) of booth seat length measured at the backrest of the seating booth." which in my interpretation distinguishes the use of a fixed seat for dining as opposed for the other uses. As of the 2022 code cycle this section has not been revised.

Thanks for the input. CBC 1004.6 notes "The occupant load of seating booths shall be based on one person for each 24 inches (610 mm) of booth seat length measured at the backrest of the seating booth." which in my interpretation distinguishes the use of a fixed seat for dining as opposed for the other uses. As of the 2022 code cycle this section has not been revised.
Chapter 10 Means of Egress
CALIFORNIA BUILDING CODE
1004.6 Fixed Seating
For areas having fixed seating without dividing arms, the occupant load shall be not less than the number of seats based on one person for each 18 inches of seating length

Have you noticed the size of children today? Some of them will not fit in a 24" space.

View attachment 12775
Google average sizes for elementary school age kids and I don't think the change is justified. Submit a code change proposal and see if you can get it approved.

In a school gym with bleachers, it's around an extra 36" door for every 1000 (@18") vs 820 (@22") - 6 vs 5. Just doesn't seem terrible.

And if it's a big deal, use a molded seat bench, with the bench molded for 22" butt spacing.

And if you do submit a change, consider an increase in minimum row to row bleacher dimension. It's equally under sized for people today.

It's the problem with codes. They get updated when someone can profit or when there is a large loss of life event.

If the bench seating is fixed, then the 18" is used. If the bench is not fixed, then 1004.5 is used to determine the occupant load. 15 sq ft per person net.

1004.6 Fixed seating.
For areas having fixed seats and aisles, the occupant load shall be determined by the number of fixed seats installed therein. The occupant load for areas in which fixed seating is not installed, such as waiting spaces, shall be determined in accordance with Section 1004.5 and added to the number of fixed seats.

The occupant load of wheelchair spaces and the associated companion seat shall be based on one occupant for each wheelchair space and one occupant for the associated companion seat provided in accordance with Section 1108.2.3.
For areas having fixed seating without dividing arms, the occupant load shall be not less than the number of seats based on one person for each 18 inches (457 mm) of seating length.

then 1004.5 is used to determine the occupant load. 15 sq ft per person net.
That's with chairs and tables, appropriate for a restaurant Just chairs and it's 7 SF.

And for what it's worth, it's possible with chairs and tables to achieve a density of around 10 SF. I don't recall the section but believe that can be approved. A necessity in ballrooms and similar, full of 8 tops or 10 tops. Just have to provide sufficient egress.