• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Boring and Notching Joists

jdieter

I think I found my answer by Googling but want to check here to be sure. I understand the restrictions on size and placement, but didn't find very much regarding how many times a joist could be Bored and/or notched. In my situation I have 2x8 floor joists and I like to have a 2" bored hole centered and 6" off the foundation, and also a 1"x6" bottom notch 3' off the foundation on a 13' joist. This is to raise the water lines and wiring up in the joist cavity so I can have a flush ceiling on a basement remodel. To deal with the drains I'll run them inside a double interior wall.

R502.8.1 Sawn lumber.
Notches in solid lumber joists, rafters and beams shall not exceed one-sixth of the depth of the member, shall not be longer than one-third of the depth of the member and shall not be located in the middle one-third of the span. Notches at the ends of the member shall not exceed one-fourth the depth of the member. The tension side of members 4 inches (102 mm) or greater in nominal thickness shall not be notched except at the ends of the members. The diameter of holes bored or cut into members shall not exceed one-third the depth of the member. Holes shall not be closer than 2 inches (51 mm) to the top or bottom of the member, or to any other hole located in the member. Where the member is also notched, the hole shall not be closer than 2 inches (51 mm) to the notch.
Maximum length, 7-1/4" / 3 = 2-7/16-".

Maximum depth, 7-1/4" / 6 = 1-3/4+"

ICODA2012051709094673138.jpg

There shouldn't be any interaction between the hole & notch if the clear space between them is at least the depth of the member. I'm a lot more concerned about the hole near the end, which is in the area of greatest shear, at the center of the joist near the ends.

First, Welcome a-board. Please use your life-jacket at all times.

"...and also a 1"x6" bottom notch..." The length of the notch is limited to D/3 or 1/3 of the depth of the joist. So a 6" long notch would require an 18" deep joist. And never in the same cross sectional area as noted above.