• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Braced Wall Panels

bethanyslone

Is anyone here familiar with braced wall panels as far as the IBC is concerned? I am coming across a little bit of a problem. According to chapter 23 section 2308.3.1, "spacing of braced wall lines shall not exceed 35 feet." For the job I'm looking at, there are no interior wall within 35' of each exterior wall. This puts my braced wall line spacing at over 50'. Any suggestions or comments?

$ ~ $

bethanyslone,

Welcome to The Building Codes Forum ! :cool:

Possibly, do you have a floor plan sketch or plan view that you can upload ?

Secondly, ...is there a design professional involved with this project ?

Also, which code edition are you using ?

Thanks !

$ ~ $

This section establishes the maximum spacing of braced wall lines and thereby limits the lateral force acting on individual vertical elements within that line. Refer to Figure 2308.9.3 for further understanding of this principle. The philosophy of conventional construction regarding the resistance of lateral forces is to: (1) limit the magnitude of force that individual elements must resist; (2) streamline the effects of force on the entire structure by restricting the type and extent of irregularity; and (3) strengthen resisting elements beyond what might otherwise be installed without requirements. All of these concepts are addressed in Section 2308.

http://publicecodes.cyberregs.com/icod/ibc/2009f2cc/icod_ibc_2009f2cc_23_par147.htm?bu2=undefined

Thank you all so much for the welcomes and the replies!

I am using the 2009 IBC on this project.

I will be working with an engineer; however, she's not available until later next week.

I'm not exactly sure how to upload an image to this thread. The building is essentially a 72' x 43' rectangle. There is only one interior wall that is 51' from one exterior wall (21' from the other exterior wall). Hence the dilemma...there is no wall for bracing that complies with the 35' spacing requirement. I'll look into the information provided and see if I can find any solutions that may work for this job.

So when using a moment resisting frame, will I have a brace wall line that appears on the plan with no actual walls? Instead, the frame will act as the structural panel along that braced wall line?

Thank you for the link! That's what I was just about to try and find. I'll be working with a civil engineer.

bethanyslone said:
Thank you all so much for the welcomes and the replies!I am using the 2009 IBC on this project.

I will be working with an engineer; however, she's not available until later next week.

I'm not exactly sure how to upload an image to this thread. The building is essentially a 72' x 43' rectangle. There is only one interior wall that is 51' from one exterior wall (21' from the other exterior wall). Hence the dilemma...there is no wall for bracing that complies with the 35' spacing requirement. I'll look into the information provided and see if I can find any solutions that may work for this job.
http://www.thebuildingcodeforum.com/forum/website-discussion/9677-difference-between-sawhorse-registered-member.html

Become a sawhorse for extras and more important help support the site

Thanks

http://www.thebuildingcodeforum.com/forum/payments.php

& = & = &

As I understand things **bethany**, ...yes the Moment Frame ( or Shear Wall )

will act as a replacement for the braced wall line.

Because you have a Civil Engineer on your project, and not a Structural Engineer,

...is your Civil Engineer qualified & experienced enough to design a solution for

your application ?

& ~ & ~ &

Last edited by a moderator:
& ~ &

If your Civil Engineer is not the one you want to use, you "might"

contact Simpson-Strongtie to retain their services to design you

a code compliant solution........They have engineers on staff, and

are good people to work with and discuss your application.......They

"WOULD" need to be paid though !

I am not recommending ONLY Simpson-Strongtie !.........There are

other companies and design professionals out there, ...Simpson-Strongtie

is just one option.

& ~ & ~ &

Ok, thank you for your suggestions!! I'll talk with the engineering when she gets back and see what needs to be done/what would work best for this project.

~ : ~ : ~

bethany,

Also, ...as **cda** has recommended.........If you have enjoyed &

benefitted from your visit here, I will encourage you to become a

"paid subscription" member [ i.e. - a Sawhorse ].

This Forum is THE ABSOLUTE BEST on the internet, ...bar none !

There is a GREAT bunch of people on here ! :cool:

~ : ~ : ~

The building is essentially a 72' x 43' rectangle.
You probably can not use 2308 for this building depending on your wind load and the truss span

2308.2 Limitations.

Buildings are permitted to be constructed in accordance with the provisions of conventional light-frame construction , subject to the following limitations, and to further limitations of Sections 2308.11 and 2308.12.

1. Buildings shall be limited to a maximum of three stories above grade plane . For the purposes of this section, for buildings in Seismic Design Category D or E as determined in Section 1613, cripple stud walls shall be considered to be a story .

Exception: Solid blocked cripple walls not exceeding 14 inches (356 mm) in height need not be considered a story .

2. Maximum floor-to-floor height shall not exceed 11 feet, 7 inches (3531 mm). Bearing wall height shall not exceed a stud height of 10 feet (3048 mm).

3. Loads as determined in Chapter 16 shall not exceed the following:

3.1. Average dead loads shall not exceed 15 psf (718 N/m2) for combined roof and ceiling, exterior walls, floors and partitions.

Exceptions:

1. Subject to the limitations of Sections 2308.11.2 and 2308.12.2, stone or masonry veneer up to the lesser of 5 inches (127 mm) thick or 50 psf (2395 N/m2) and installed in accordance with Chapter 14 is permitted to a height of 30 feet (9144 mm) above a noncombustible foundation, with an additional 8 feet (2438 mm) permitted for gable ends.

2. Concrete or masonry fireplaces, heaters and chimneys shall be permitted in accordance with the provisions of this code.

3.2. Live loads shall not exceed 40 psf (1916 N/m2) for floors.

3.3. Ground snow loads shall not exceed 50 psf (2395 N/m2).

4. Wind speeds shall not exceed 100 miles per hour (mph) (44 m/s) (3-second gust).

Exception: Wind speeds shall not exceed 110 mph (48.4 m/s) (3-second gust) for buildings in Exposure Category B that are not located in a hurricane-prone region .

5. Roof trusses and rafters shall not span more than 40 feet (12 192 mm) between points of vertical support.

Was the project finalized?
I'm looking to do something similar and want to know if I should keep a heads up about anything in particular.