• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Bracing a stud that has been cut too much

calf85

I'm installing a bathroom above an existing one, and when running the shower drain pipe I got overzealous without thinking and cut a 3" hole in a 2x4 for the drain (red circle in photo). Only 2 3/8" is allowed by code. How do I brace this to pass inspection? I was thinking about putting 2x8 blocking above and below the cut and then running king studs (with the 4" side facing out) down to the sill plate. Previous builder did something similar (yellow circle). Is that sufficient? This is old construction with 2" actual studs, plus it's at an angle, so I can't just use a stud shoe. Thoughts?

ju1bd.jpg

Looks like there's more studs than would be required. If you're concerned, a 16 gauge strap could make a difference.

Welcome,,,

One reason I do not do much DYI on my house, plus, I have a contractor/handyman on speed dial!!!

Keep on going, I like the answer above, not my area, but appears enough support, but would reinforce in some manner.

I can’t use a stud shoe because the studs are too wide (2” actual) and the hole is at an angle.

Do you know if the wall is load bearing?

Simpson makes a SS2.5 which is wider and you can maybe get a spacer cut to fill the gap.

I think the CTS-18 strap you posted if non-load bearing is better than nothing.

I'm installing a bathroom above an existing one, and when running the shower drain pipe I got overzealous without thinking and cut a 3" hole in a 2x4 for the drain (red circle in photo). Only 2 3/8" is allowed by code. How do I brace this to pass inspection? I was thinking about putting 2x8 blocking above and below the cut and then running king studs (with the 4" side facing out) down to the sill plate. Previous builder did something similar (yellow circle). Is that sufficient? This is old construction with 2" actual studs, plus it's at an angle, so I can't just use a stud shoe. Thoughts?

Fascinating. Our office just put out a bulletin about professional plumbers doing exactly this. What I've allowed for, as repairs to a damaged load-bearing stud (I presume this is a load-bearing stud?) is to have a 2x4 inserted sideways to sister against the damaged member.