• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Brain Tease: Fire hatch between floors

Sorry, the number of floors connected is relavent to the question! As is the construction type of the building

Coug Dad said:
Sorry, the number of floors connected is relavent to the question! As is the construction type of the building
It is a rated assembly that is required with an opening that is required to close via a fusible link.

I think you are going in the wrong direction with this one................... :)

If it only connects two floors, then neither the hatch nor the links could not even be required. The fact that the hatch and link are there does not mean it is required.

Coug Dad said:
If it only connects two floors, then neither the hatch nor the links could not even be required. The fact that the hatch and link are there does not mean it is required.
You are definitely going in the wrong direction. We are telling you that hypothetically it is required to be there and it is required to close. The answer is based on that.......

I will even go as far as telling you that it is an existing installation with fusible links

Why it is there, the number of floors connected, the construction type of the building, and possibly even the occupancy, all may contribute to the requirements as to how the hatch closes.

if it is in a rated assembly

then the opening protection would have to be Listed for it

and if already listed should already have fusible link or other apporved closing device as part of the tested assembly

Would not approve someone buying a fusible link off the shelf and retro fitting to an opening protection!!!!!!!!!!!!

never mind found it under doors

I give up under which drop down to the left of the link you provided did they dig this link up under???????????

Restaurant & Industrial Fire Protection Systems

Model A Fusible LinkModel K Fusible LinkModel ML Fusible LinkSee All Models

Fire Doors & Windows

Model B Fusible LinkModel D Fusible LinkModel EA Fusible LinkModel K Fusible LinkSee All Models

Fire Dampers

Model EA Fusible LinkModel G Fusible LinkModel GS Fusible LinkModel J Fusible LinkModel JS Fusible LinkSee All Models

Fire & Smoke Dampers

Flow RestrictorModel EFL Fusible LinkModel PFV Fusible ValveSee All Models

Parts Washers &

Dipping Tanks

Fusible ChainFusible LoopFusible Copper TubeModel G Fusible LinkModel J Fusible LinkSee All Models

Sign Hanger

Model CS Fusible Link

AC & Refrigeration Systems

Fusible Plug

Fire Safety Valves

Model A Fusible LinkModel B Fusible LinkModel EA Fusible LinkModel K Fusible LinkSee All Models

Hydraulic & Electrical Automatic Shut Down

Yeah I know that but that was not part of the question. I was telling you that the protective opening was required to be there. No reason to even go in that direction as the info was already provided. Nevermind.............

Us code geeks always have to read into everything don't we??

If this is a new building IFC 704.2 does not apply. See the scoping provisions of IFC chapter 7 "New buildings shall comply with the International Building Code ".

2009 IBC

712.1 General.

Floor and roof assemblies required to have a fire-resistance rating shall comply with this section.

712.3.2 Access doors.

Access doors shall be permitted in ceilings of fire-resistance-rated floor/ceiling and roof/ceiling assemblies provided such doors are tested in accordance with ASTM E 119 or UL 263 as horizontal assemblies and labeled by an approved agency for such purpose.

Unless the arch can provide a listed access door that was tested in the normaly open position (similar to horizontal fire damper or a radient ceiling damper) then I would not approve a homemade installation.

Here's the answer. Jar's fusible link exceeded the 135 degrees.

704.2 Opening protectives. When openings are required to be

protected, opening protectives shall be maintained self-closing

or automatic-closing by smoke detection. Existing fusible-

link-type automatic door-closing devices are permitted if

the fusible link rating does not exceed 135ºF (57ºC).

High Desert said:
Here's the answer. Jar's fusible link exceeded the 135 degrees.704.2 Opening protectives. When openings are required to be

protected, opening protectives shall be maintained self-closing

or automatic-closing by smoke detection. Existing fusible-

link-type automatic door-closing devices are permitted if

the fusible link rating does not exceed 135ºF (57ºC).
Thank you, it's what I was shooting for