• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

break room stove exhaust

BSSTG said:
Greetings,I want to know how we are requiring domestic use ovens to have exhaust hoods out of this section 505 no matter where they are used? Looks to me like the section is dealing specifically with downdraft exhaust.

SECTION 505 DOMESTIC KITCHEN EXHAUST EQUIPMENT

505.1 Domestic systems. Where domestic range hoods and domestic appliances equipped with downdraft exhaust are located within dwelling units, such hoods and appliances shall discharge to the outdoors through sheet metal ducts constructed of galvanized steel, stainless steel, aluminum or copper. Such ducts shall have smooth inner walls and shall be air tight and equipped with a backdraft damper.

BSSTG
Yes section applies to downdraft appliances

Rick18071 said:
It says domestic range hoods AND domestic appliances with down draft exhaust.
Greetings

It doesn't say anywhere in the 09 IMC that a domestic range hood is required over domestic cooking equipment that I can find. It does say that if it is installed it shall meet the requirements of sheet metal ducts etc. The 09 IRC reads similarly. Now there is a section that requires exhaust to the outside for open top broilers which are common around here. Seems like most of those units are equipped to be downdrafted. Open type broilers are required to vent to the outside in M1505.1 09 IRC.

BSSTG

BSSTG said:
GreetingsIt doesn't say anywhere in the 09 IMC that a domestic range hood is required over domestic cooking equipment that I can find. It does say that if it is installed it shall meet the requirements of sheet metal ducts etc. The 09 IRC reads similarly. Now there is a section that requires exhaust to the outside for open top broilers which are common around here. Seems like most of those units are equipped to be downdrafted. Open type broilers are required to vent to the outside in M1505.1 09 IRC.

BSSTG
He posted down draft equipment.