• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Building Code College

Here's some more of me being constructive:

The next time you find it an imperative to rag on someone, there's a thing here called a private message.

When Glenn first came around I noticed that he uses the word I a lot.

My first reaction was that the guy is somewhat self-important.

Not a big deal and I am sure that I can be the same.

Then I challenged him on his assertions in the video.

Glenn's reaction was to say that I was attacking him.

I am sorry you that my contributions to this forum are so offensive and disappointing to you.Your continued attacks at my character, expertise or contributions to this forum
At that point I stepped up to the plate ready to rip skin off balls.

Glenn banished me to the darkness to never be recognized again.

You are welcome to find videos from a more pompous, elite and egotistical person if that's what you prefer.This is my last time to engage with you.
Compared to plenty that has gone down at this forum, the exchange was blandly, namby pamby and you came up with this.

It is important that as professionals we provide concise constructive criticism or ignore the thread. If you don't have references to reply with, you are not helping the situation and turning a positive into a negative.
I got it.

Glenn and his endeavor is kid glove, protected territory.

Rick must have missed it.

I don't find Glenn to be all that cheesy but he is sort of smarmy and touchy to the 'enth degree.

Last edited by a moderator:
All the above comments are from a different discussion and topic entirely, one where I was defending my interpretations as an instructor in a free video about electrical receptacles. If anyone is interested in that discussion or the remarks above, please go to this thread: http://www.thebuildingcodeforum.com/forum/residential-electrical-codes/10082-new-deck-drives-service-change-3.html#post94569

NOTE: ICE, weeks ago your PM feature was not available. I tried that approach before I ever responded to you. Check it now...it's still turned off.

In my first post on this discussion, I responded to cda, who was asking for a critique to be posted. I have attempted to accommodate his request by offering free enrollment, as we are also interested in the critique...of the online course.

The quality of my personal character or my defensive banter in other discussions can always use some improvement, but that's not the the feedback that cda was asking for in this discussion.

There are members enrolled in the course now, and I hope they will discuss their honest opinions of the online campus and course in this discussion.

Glenn,

I wasn't talking to you. That was for Jeff.

I don't like the way Rick has been treated. Rick has been here since the beginning and I figure he deserves better than that.

As far as my PM being turned off....I was getting extreme vitriol. Jeff has my e-mail so PM doesn't matter and besides that I don't deserve the "better" that Rick does.

Rick's post could have been removed and a message sent. There is no satisfactory reason to do it publicly.

It's obvious that you are beyond embarrassment and able to give as good as you get so the why behind it escapes me.

In any event, pardon me for getting in the way of the message. This kind of stuff shouldn't be part of an infomercial.

Glenn

First thanks for the free course. As you know I had trouble downloading the videos at first but I used Google Chrome as you suggested and I have had no problems. I am through Chapter 3 and have found the course to be easy to follow and understand, quite detailed for each subject matter in each chapter.

Chapter 3 dealing with doors and landings you where trying to instruct someone in how to identify the one "required" means of egress door. You did state that the IRC was the code where you using. However homes built prior to the adoption of a code would not be subject to the IRC requirements for landings and a means of egress door. Some of the examples photos where older homes. This could be a confusing point for an installer or inspector who may want modifications done to an existing door not effected by the installation of the deck just to meet the current IRC. Remember there are jurisdictions/states that have no codes or recently adopted (Louisiana, PA) that this would be misleading. Perhaps a disclaimer at the end to check with the local AHJ to find out what code if any was adopted at the time the home was built

mtlogcabin said:
GlennFirst thanks for the free course. As you know I had trouble downloading the videos at first but I used Google Chrome as you suggested and I have had no problems. I am through Chapter 3 and have found the course to be easy to follow and understand, quite detailed for each subject matter in each chapter.

Chapter 3 dealing with doors and landings you where trying to instruct someone in how to identify the one "required" means of egress door. You did state that the IRC was the code where you using. However homes built prior to the adoption of a code would not be subject to the IRC requirements for landings and a means of egress door. Some of the examples photos where older homes. This could be a confusing point for an installer or inspector who may want modifications done to an existing door not effected by the installation of the deck just to meet the current IRC. Remember there are jurisdictions/states that have no codes or recently adopted (Louisiana, PA) that this would be misleading. Perhaps a disclaimer at the end to check with the local AHJ to find out what code if any was adopted at the time the home was built
Now we're talking!! Thanks so much for your feedback. You've gotten through, in my opinion, the three "less exciting" sessions of this course. I can't wait for you to see what the last half has in store.

I agree that the "egress door" is a tough one, and I know exactly what you are referring to about legacy codes. I think the concept is funny overall anyway. It's not like in an emergency everyone's going to run to the one "less hazardous" door...if they even know which one it is.

The second course in the series, Ledgers and Lateral Loads, has been approved by ICC for .3 CEU's.

The courses are going well for members of the North American Deck and Railing Association who are taking them to prepare for the Master Deck Professional certification in codes and standards. I do not believe anyone from this forum has completed a course yet, but we have not processed January's exams yet. However, unlike other online education providers, BuildingCodeCollege.com does not yet provide a expiration to the courses. The course is not complete until the student has taken the final exam. The content can be experienced as many times as a student wishes prior to taking the exam. Take your time and get the most out of it you can. BuildingCodeCollege.com is about learning...CEU's and certifications are just bonus.

As the first instructor for the school, I am still working on developing the remaining two courses in the Building Codes for Building Deck series. However, we are also currently working with a handful of other industry experts to develop courses and host them at the BuildingCodeCollege campus, but it's going to take time. Currently underway are IBC basics courses that set a foundation of knowledge for many IBC fundamentals. Energy Conservation Code and IRC chapter three topics are also in the works, as is solar pv systems and installations.

The management and instructors of this school are all practicing code administrators, so we've got to share our time between administering code in the real world and teaching about it in the virtual world.

Thanks for your patience and support. I will continue to provide updates as they come.

If you have specific topics that you would like to see as an online course, please feel free to share them with me. We are always seeking other experienced instructors to grow the variety of curriculum available at BuildingCodeCollege.com.

FYI: Two of the four courses in the Building Codes for Building Decks series will be presented live at the Colorado Chapter of ICC's Education Institute in March of this year. Courses 2 and 3, covering all structural provisions, are combined under the single title of "Deck Construction, A Journey Down the Load Path". This course provides both ICC and AIA CEU's. Attendees will also be offered free enrollment to the two online classes that complete the series. Assuming I complete class four by then as expected. (NonStructural Provisions). Class one is complete and provides a bonus .3 CEU's to the attendees...provided they pass the exam.

There are many great classes at this event, priced lower than any other live full-day classes I have ever seen. This will be my 9th year as a student and 3rd year as an instructor. It is a great event if you can make it. There is a variety of topics, well beyond decks. Here is a link to the brochure:

http://www.coloradochaptericc.org/2013brochure.pdf

~ ~ & ~ ~

Simpson-Strongtie offers free online training in Deck Building as well.

Their courses are already ICC approved too !.....Check out their web

site and Resources......Plus, they are FREE !

~ ~ & ~ ~

The American Wood Council will have a webinar on the DCA6 Prescriptive Residential Wood Deck Construction Guide on November 21, 2013 at 2pm to 4pm, see link for more information AWC

took this webinar a few months back

For the deaf and HOH; "we now have access to Colorado Captions and can arrange for captioning for any of our webinars, including the rest of the WFCM series. Please let me know if you would like for me to arrange for coverage for any of these upcoming webinar dates."

Marcie Weeber

Program Assistant

American Wood Council

Francis

Building Code College provides vocational education for building code and construction professionals, and is is just getting of the ground. At this point there are only two classes available, but more to come in the future.

An Inside Look | Building Code College