• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Building collapse video

jar546 said:
I can see it and it was awesome and a lesson to many
Nail things off?

None of the ply was nailed off. Clean separation of all the panels from the framing. Probably just tacked together, with none of the holddowns and hardware installed.

Brent.

Well I do, another example of crappy lightweight construction. You can't depend on shear plywood alone to brace a building, it must have been nailed off since they were putting the WRB on the walls.

Looked like the UK. Probably the only difference between the buildings under construction and the one he was filming in was drywall. I wonder how safe they felt watching that from a similar building (I assume of course it was the same development and building)

conarb said:
Well I do, another example of crappy lightweight construction. You can't depend on shear plywood alone to brace a building, it must have been nailed off since they were putting the WRB on the walls.
Pay close attention to the bottom of the garage openings. On one area there is a 1 foot strip missing at the bottom. The buildings with the green wrap have already had their inspections and I would bet are properly nailed and resisted the forces put on them. The collapsed building had not gotten that far yet and was therefore not wrapped. you can see the plywood just popping off the studs.

One or two more days of nailing and hardware might have saved it.

Brent.

jar546 said:
Looked like the UK. Probably the only difference between the buildings under construction and the one he was filming in was drywall. I wonder how safe they felt watching that from a similar building (I assume of course it was the same development and building)
Apparently this was in the US. I was going by the accent of the videographer originally. East coast, northeast/

jar546 said:
Apparently this was in the US. I was going by the accent of the videographer originally. East coast, northeast/
There you go judging people

I wonder what you say about me behind the compter

Looks like the failure started on the first floor. This level did not have muchexterior plywood and likely inadequate temporary bracing. The not yet installed drywall was likely counted on for the permanant bracing.

~ ~ | ~ ~

"I wonder what you say about me behind the compter"
Only good things **cda**, ...only good things !........Mmmmmmmmwhaaaa Haaa Haaaaaaaaa ! :devil~ ~ | ~ ~

Builder Bob said:
I am used to plywood being installed horizontally on the first run so that the eight foot plywood section covers the seam of the platform framing to help prohibit the hinge effect at this intersection... it appears that all plywood was ran vertical in the video.
I seldom see panels applied with the long dimension horizontal because the edges must be blocked.

In the video, the house on the left was shoved off the foundation and then it drug the one on the right down with it.