• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Building Incentives

Nope

A neighboring community waived permit fees on residential remodel permits a couple years back, yes had the influx of permits. I spoke with their plans examiner last year, very few are completed. It was easy to get the permit, but, oh crap, I have to still buy materials.

Fortunatelly I was never asked to go there.

Permit fees must be pretty crazy if waiving them is actually creates incentive to start a remodel. Sounds like offering free floor mats if someone buys a new car . . .

One of thirteen fire districts cut their fees by half. I doubt it has helped do anything other than make their budget a bit tighter. They did get a wallmart so it may have made up for the lost income.

permitguy, that was my thoughts on the matter. Their permit fees were in line, but just the very idea of them being waived caused folks to think they could finally do that basement, addition, garage, etc. Nope, still no extra money. Just a barely started project.......

Kearney, I thought you were already offering incentives? Did it stop and now they're re-thinking it?

Not mine........but a close by ahj has put impact fees on the back end rather than up front at permit time.

When a house sells.......c.o. Issued.......impact fees due.

We did deferred fees like DAYWALKER for almost twenty years. When the housing bubble burst, builders figured out they could rent out the empty completed houses without a C.O. We finally caught on, took me almost two years to collect about 1.4M in fees, never did have to force tenants out, I didn't think it was right, not their fault. But I did go after a few builders. Dumped the deferred fees at that time.

Tax Increment Financing?
That could be looking into. IIRC, MO was in the process of restricting TIF at the state level before I moved. An area was going to have to be designated as "blighted" in accordance with a state-provided definition in order to use TIF. Not sure what the outcome was . . .

DAYWALKER said:
Not mine........but a close by ahj has put impact fees on the back end rather than up front at permit time. When a house sells.......c.o. Issued.......impact fees due.
After all the infrastructure has been put in by the taxpayers? What could possibly go wrong with that?

permitguy said:
That could be looking into. IIRC, MO was in the process of restricting TIF at the state level before I moved. An area was going to have to be designated as "blighted" in accordance with a state-provided definition in order to use TIF. Not sure what the outcome was . . .
Blight is pretty easy to find if one wants to.