• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Building Separation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Building Separation

If a someone came into your office with these questions about an educational occupancy would you start giving code advice, or would you advise them that they need a design professional?

Both I would have answered their questions and then advise them to get a DP. In my experience the OP's question would have come from a DP originally or maybe from someone on a building committee doing some due diligence

brudgers said:
If a someone came into your office with these questions about an educational occupancy would you start giving code advice, or would you advise them that they need a design professional?
1) It is entirely possible that nononsense IS a design professional; the question was not unlike questions we routinely see on these boards from DP's. We'll probably never know however, based on the ridiculousness that followed his post.

2) This isn't anyone's office

3) I would be perfectly comfortable giving the explanation that I gave regardless of the forum.

Hey, How about those Jets? They're looking pretty good for tomorrows game...

jar546 said:
1 post and gone. I just hate that. Darn cornhuskers
Maybe the OP just heard what they wanted to hear.

It looked like that kind of question to me.

I say that a lot about people "hearing what they wanted to hear" and that is true. When people are not happy with a decision they keep asking others until someone tells them what they want to hear. If you ask enough people, you will get the answer you are looking for. I suppose it is another form of denial.

I have said this before but anyone who posts here for info will eventually have to go through the permit process, plan review and inspections in the jurisdiction in which the live. What we offer here is an opionion. A personal opinion. It is nice to be able to bounce ideas and get a different perspective on situations that make us think more. I appreciate being able to do that.

There are enough poorly written or shall I say "worded" codes that allow for multiple perceptions with no clear intent. So many situations out there and not all fit snuggly into the written code. I look at these codes as minimal guidelines even though in many jurisdictions, they are law and the way they are enforced can have a significant impact whether it be financial, contribute to savings someone's life or contribute to someone being hurt or killed.

This is a small planet and we nor the codes are the axis. Alas, my mind is drifting so I better stop.

Thanks for all of the constructive responses from everyone although I must say it must be wonderful to be born with all of the knowledge of ones particular career instead of acquiring it throughout a lifetime like the rest of us. Although I could justify my question with an excuse I won’t because I don’t need to prove or explain myself to anyone on this forum. If everyone was 100% qualified to do their job then forums such as this would not exist.

Bruggers comments of being over my head are par for the course on this site and others. He’s obviously the forums resident bully and probably enjoys it. Who is he to question someone’s qualifications? Maybe we should send him our resumes and he can tell us if we are qualified to do our jobs. If we don’t measure up to the “Elitist” then we should be handed pink slips. My guess is that others like me are tired of the negative comments that come from his keyboard hole. More often than not taking questions in a different direction so he can his fill his already swollen head.

CODE REQUIREMENT: MINIMUM 10’-0” HIGH DOORS AT THE BRUGGERS RESIDENCE.

Undoubtedly trolling forums for questions he can pounce on. Tough talk, calling someone out on a forum. Nice try, I can see people like him coming from a mile away, more than likely getting away with it most of the time but wouldn’t have the sac to face me in person.

As far as the comment if this is the right forum for the question asked... what? Then volunteer your time to screen and sort questions to make sure everything is perfectly package and fits precisely within the right category. If someone wants to answer the questions then they will, if they don’t, then they won’t. Take the question at face value, if you want to over analyze a question (or qualifications) go ahead, but chewing up four pages for a one page post just can be King of the Mountain give me a break!

Whether you’re an Architect, Code Official, Engineer or other we all have different perspectives, experiences and interpretations that I think for the most part are a pretty good check and balance system. It’s no different than kicking around a question in the office. Everyone puts in their two cents and it usually leads to a conclusion or consensus.

I see this forum as being one tool in a box of many, don’t use it every time but comes in handy every once in awhile.

"Slide to the Right"

Welcome back nononsense. We are hoping for some followup on your original post. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on your 2nd post.

I like the part about it being just like kicking it around in the office. Same thing.

Brudgers took the place of George Roberts from the old ICC board. Very similar but not the same person to the best of my knowledge.

Anyway, welcome back.

Jeff - Actually brudgers and GR were both on the old site, and I did sometimes wonder if he was GRs 'alter-ego'... NAH.

Personally I view him as more of the 'Board Crumudgeon' than an 'Elitist' but that's just me. ;)

Bashing him IS fun, but it is also counter-productive, and leads us down the wrong path. He does have quite a bit of knowledge, he just doesn't seem to want to share it very often. When he does it can be enlightening (sometimes). I always enjoy sharing ideas myself, but have been accused of being a 'know-it-all' or a 'show-off' (in real life, not here) at times. Here, I just get ribbed about the volume of posts I produce. I suppose it could be worse.

As far as focusing on 'qualifications' I offer a brief side-bar;

My Uncle worked for Eagle Pen & Pencil in Connecticut as a VP in Quality Control. The company was planning an expansion and a janitor who happened to see the plans asked what the new building would be used for (it was a couple of blocks long). After an Engineer was kind enough to explain the basics of the plan, the janitor (with his grade school education) made a funny face and asked why they didn't just do it 'this way instead', and proceeded to explain his (simple) thoughts. When he was done, the Engineers looked at each other and went back to their respective drawing boards.

That janitor, with his grade school education reduced the project scope to less than one block in size saving the company millions of dollars (1970s dollars BTW), and streamlining production in the process.

With all due respect to the 'degreed' members of this or any other forum, those letters after your name don't impress me in the least. What comes out of your mouth (or your keyboard) is what counts.

John Drobysh said:
Hey, How about those Jets? They're looking pretty good for tomorrows game...
JD, board psychic and prognosticator... :lol:

John Drobysh said:
Bashing him IS fun, but it is also counter-productive, and leads us down the wrong path. He does have quite a bit of knowledge, he just doesn't seem to want to share it very often.
With two buildings of differing construction type, sited closely, and openings of indeterminate size, quantity, protection, and location how can anyone know enough to give a knowledgable technical answer?

I did share my knowledge.

The OP needs an architect.

The follow up post does nothing to indicate otherwise.

Even if there is no such thing as a dumb question, Morissa Tomei acurately classified "... what would the correct ignition timing be on a 1955 Bel Air Chevrolet, with a 327 cubic-inch engine and a four-barrel carburetor? "

brudgers said:
John Drobysh said:
Bashing him IS fun, but it is also counter-productive, and leads us down the wrong path. He does have quite a bit of knowledge, he just doesn't seem to want to share it very often.
With two buildings of differing construction type, sited closely, and openings of indeterminate size, quantity, protection, and location how can anyone know enough to give a knowledgable technical answer?

I did share my knowledge.

The OP needs an architect.

The follow up post does nothing to indicate otherwise.

Even if there is no such thing as a dumb question, Morissa Tomei acurately classified "... what would the correct ignition timing be on a 1955 Bel Air Chevrolet, with a 327 cubic-inch engine and a four-barrel carburetor? "

And the answer would be "that which delivers the spark at the proper time to deliver the most complete combustion, without causing predetonation".

And that's the same kind of correct, if not somewhat generic information SOME of us gave the OP; if nothing else, giving him some ideas to work from. Others gave him nothing, except ridicule.

brudgers - Stop trying to pick apart everyone elses' posts! You're not very good at it, constantly take things out of context, and only embarrass yourself in the process. My post, in its' entireity, was more a compliment than a slam - left-handed for the most part I'll grant you, but you make it so easy!

No, it wasn't the best question ever asked, yes there was critical information lacking. Wouldn't it make more sense to either prod the additional information out of the OP or possibly wait for someone elses queries to do so? Even ignoring that thread altogether would have been a better idea. Besides, even more than an Architect what was needed was some direction. I think he got that at some point.

John Drobysh said:
brudgers - Stop trying to pick apart everyone elses' posts! You're not very good at it, constantly take things out of context, and only embarrass yourself in the process. My post, in its' entireity, was more a compliment than a slam - left-handed for the most part I'll grant you, but you make it so easy! No, it wasn't the best question ever asked, yes there was critical information lacking. Wouldn't it make more sense to either prod the additional information out of the OP or possibly wait for someone elses queries to do so? Even ignoring that thread altogether would have been a better idea. Besides, even more than an Architect what was needed was some direction. I think he got that at some point.
So far as I am aware, no state allows a non-professional to design a new educational occupancy of in excess of 9500 square feet (limitation for type VB).

So the OP either needs to be a design professional, or hire one.

In my experience, it's more expedient to hire one than to go through all the steps to become one.

brudgers said:
John Drobysh said:
brudgers - Stop trying to pick apart everyone elses' posts! You're not very good at it, constantly take things out of context, and only embarrass yourself in the process. My post, in its' entireity, was more a compliment than a slam - left-handed for the most part I'll grant you, but you make it so easy! No, it wasn't the best question ever asked, yes there was critical information lacking. Wouldn't it make more sense to either prod the additional information out of the OP or possibly wait for someone elses queries to do so? Even ignoring that thread altogether would have been a better idea. Besides, even more than an Architect what was needed was some direction. I think he got that at some point.
So far as I am aware, no state allows a non-professional to design a new educational occupancy of in excess of 9500 square feet (limitation for type VB).

So the OP either needs to be a design professional, or hire one.

In my experience, it's more expedient to hire one than to go through all the steps to become one.

1) You have no idea what the occupation of the OP is; the question is very much in line with what I've heard architects ask. Now maybe Alabama is the pinnacle of architectural excellence (as well as the paragon of surly plans examiners or whatever you do for a living), and you never get basic code questions from them, but my guess is that it has its share of less code proficient DP's just like everyone else.

2) Whether or not this state or that requires a DP is irrelevant; I'm not an astronaut, but that doesn't mean I can't ask a question about the space shuttle.

3) I laughed out loud when the OP put you in your place.

4) JD is right; you are embarrassing yourself, or at least you should be.

texasbo said:
brudgers said:
1) You have no idea what the occupation of the OP is; the question is very much in line with what I've heard architects ask. Now maybe Alabama is the pinnacle of architectural excellence (as well as the paragon of surly plans examiners or whatever you do for a living), and you never get basic code questions from them, but my guess is that it has its share of less code proficient DP's just like everyone else.

2) Whether or not this state or that requires a DP is irrelevant; I'm not an astronaut, but that doesn't mean I can't ask a question about the space shuttle.

3) I laughed out loud when the OP put you in your place.

4) JD is right; you are embarrassing yourself, or at least you should be.
1. I don't care what the OP's occupation is because it's irrelevant to their need for an architect.

2. You can ask, "Ok so I've got liquid hydrogen and liquid oxygen and all I've got to do is take a cup of each and mix them together to make my rocket fuel, right?" but nobody with any ethics is going to encourage you...particularly if your going to win your Darwin award in a school house.

3. The OP responded to my posts to you rather than everyone else who asked for additional information...if it put me anyplace it was as correctly reading the OP.

4. That's a classic. Hope your reviews make more sense.

Am I interpreting the ICC (2006) table 602 correctly in that I don’t need to rate the exterior wall of the new building? If not what am I missing
It was a simple question about interpreting table 602 and nothing else.

Give it up or Jeff will have to reward you

ihttp://www.energizer.com/ENERGIZER-BUN ... award.aspx

There are other forums where this can be debated, it appears the thread has beeen answered to the satisfaction of the OP, and it's keeps straying away.

Status
Not open for further replies.