• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Building your own trusses

Laws are necessary when we interact with other people. If you do not want to deal with laws then go to someplace where there are no people. I am sure there are many such places in Alaska. Maybe this project is too close to civilization.

My belief is that if you are the only one occupying your house and what you do will not impact others then do what you want. If this means that the roof will fall on you then you can get the Darwin Award. But then we have your family and guests, do they suffer the same result?

In my experience those that are loudest about claiming that they know how to make a safe building and do not need codes or engineering, do not know enough to know what they do not know. Sometimes they are lucky and do not have problems but that just reinforces their ignorance about their ignorance.

There is confusion about building codes and needing an engineers stamp. Building codes are to address issues related to health and safety. Registration of engineers is about the qualification of the engineer, which is handled by a state agency. One of the reasons for wanting an engineers stamp on the design is because the engineer should make sure that the design is is appropriate for the location where it will be used. How do you know the truss design you were given was not intended for Phoenix AZ? Also a truss design that was intended for a simple roof may not be adequate when the building configuration results in large drifts.

Little smuggy response in my opinion with all due respect. Basic Welding and school of hard knocks school and you could easily fabricate a 20 ton plate press which his what the factory uses. I have monster compressor I would use air. I went with engineered, prefabed, and stamped trusses the other day and sopend the money, extra 6-7k because my inspector said he needed stamped design, which doesnt coincide with what I read in code book, but im not a wizard and literally no one on this forum could say yes or no without opinion involved. I researched code and said basically you need engineering calcs and not a stamp unless you are exceeding certain criteria. R301.
Great forum here and maybe I can provide value here in the future.
It was a lot smuggy.

Sure you could fabricate a press but it would be an enormous waste of resources for a few trusses. It demonstrates your lack of understanding of how trusses are engineered. There is no reason you would need a press for a one off truss project. Presses facilitate volume manufacturing. It would be many times faster to use plate connectors with fasteners or simple plywood gussets. But you have no idea what the forces are or how to design a truss so you're attempting to copy an engineered design out of ignorance.

The BO was right, you need an engineered design with a LDP signed off for your project on your site.

atvjoel-

I'm sympathetic, finding some things I could do myself and know it was safe and exceeded minimums but code does not allow it, 2x6 rough sawn studs on 16" centers versus 2 x 4 grade stamped studs on 24" centers. As to where the IRC says it's required to be designed by a RDP, the state and its designated inspectors are the jurisdiction, and the code says if required by the jurisdiction. R106.1 and R802.10.

I'm sorry if I missed this but I am curious why not just build it following the prescriptive rafter and ceiling joists or rafters and structural ridge beam so many have asked? It would have to be simpler, faster, and less expensive than home built trusses. Maybe you'd just enjoy the challenge of building a press and using plate connectors more but I find the art of cutting rafters almost as much fun as cutting stair stringers, plus I can lift every piece myself, unlike a truss. Just curious.

Best wishes for a safe and speedy build. I'm guessing you're trying to get closed in for this coming winter.

Laws are necessary when we interact with other people. If you do not want to deal with laws then go to someplace where there are no people. I am sure there are many such places in Alaska. Maybe this project is too close to civilization.

My belief is that if you are the only one occupying your house and what you do will not impact others then do what you want. If this means that the roof will fall on you then you can get the Darwin Award. But then we have your family and guests, do they suffer the same result?

In my experience those that are loudest about claiming that they know how to make a safe building and do not need codes or engineering, do not know enough to know what they do not know. Sometimes they are lucky and do not have problems but that just reinforces their ignorance about their ignorance.

There is confusion about building codes and needing an engineers stamp. Building codes are to address issues related to health and safety. Registration of engineers is about the qualification of the engineer, which is handled by a state agency. One of the reasons for wanting an engineers stamp on the design is because the engineer should make sure that the design is is appropriate for the location where it will be used. How do you know the truss design you were given was not intended for Phoenix AZ? Also a truss design that was intended for a simple roof may not be adequate when the building configuration results in large drifts.
The truss design I was given was from a local alaska truss plant. As I said in previous message, I went forward with them and just paid the money but they stamped the exact plans the sent me. The discussion on here was if its required to be stamped in International Building Code. I read it and seems only you need stamp if you are exceeding R301. On a side note this would not be to code because the truss calculator has disclaimer on it, but I built two un-inspected houses using this calculator with fink style truss and those houses are still standing strong and withstood snowiest winter on record. I went with 2x6 for my top and bottom cord though. http://design.medeek.com/calculator/calculator.pl

By all means you can stamp every single thing on your project, but I have a budget and every single extra thing ads up. Where you can save that enables you to get your project done.

atvjoel,

When you get those trusses delivered, it's important to stack them properly and keep them dry. When you swing them in place, it's important to look for the bearing tags if applicable. Did you ask for an attic scuttle? Did you ask for an attic fan location in the trusses?

Pay attention to the notes when you get the engineered paperwork for fasteners, stiffeners, bracing, joist hanger call outs and width of bearing. Important to tie the trusses off to prevent collapse.

Also there is a truss connecting screw on the market that goes through the bottom side of the top plate into the roof truss, maybe helpful?