• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Built in garage framing

jar546

Forum Coordinator
Just trying to get some opinions here. Anyone see anything that is a code issue??

This house is now complete over a year ago. Just reviewing some photos for the board.

IMG_0747.jpg

IMG_0748.jpg

Lack of flashing around the windows and door, ..how were the narrow wall sections

restrained and the top & bottom (i.e. - wall line bracing)?

Also, ...if that is a brick ledge, where are the masonry wall ties?

Can't reqlly tell from the distance of the photo, but do the upstairs double

unit windows have 5.7 sq. ft. of net clear opening?

Jeff,

My eyes are what they used to be; but, I'm guessing the complaint is that the header is bending in the middle of the garage opening. It appears that the headers are not properly supported.

What is the exterior wall covering going to be? If brick, where will the lintel be placed and what would support the brick under the lintel? The portal frame method of bracing will require an alternate braced wall panel between the garage doors (you need one within 25'of the one at the corner) and the same questions as globe trekker, minimum embedded anchor bolts (if 2006 IRC) and straps at the top assuming the panels are built correctly. If a panel needs to be between the doors the header should extend a minimum of 14 1/2" beyond the opening but it doesn't look like it does. If more up to date than 2006 IRC the requirements may be a little stiffer. Also, if brick, from my experience the headers are grossly undersized if being used to carry the brick load, by the looks of it they are already undersized. A member report would tell the tale. If brick a maximum of 12' above the lintel is permitted prescriptively, looks like that will be close as well. (over the smaller opening)

what header? my eyes are as bad as ub's if there is a header there. wonder if there were point load footings for the roof and 2nd floor loading?

I can't tell from the picture, but the member across the top of the opening does not look continuous. It is hanging from the header by the cripple studs. If this horizontal headerette (I just invented that term) is two pieces, it won't handle wind loads very well.

I can't tell from the picture how well the header is supported.

If it is an engineered design, I don't know if the wall bracing at the garage is a problem. There may be plently of shear wall on the front of the house to provide lateral stability for the wall.

Kind of an ugly bunch of windows and none are flashed correctly.

I don't see any outlet for a light.

Is there a manufactured fireplace without an outside air vent. Or maybe you guys don't do that on the east coast.

What is the roof pitch? If 6" or greater is the chimney tall enough?

I can't make out anything on the framing picture.

Last edited by a moderator:
From what I see; in the bottom picture; accept for the far right side, the garage opening headers are only supported by one (1) jack stud on each end. What is the complaint? Did one of the headers fall while the garage door was opening? :)

As Durant, I asked a question about putting the cripples below the headers but couldn't up load a picture. This was what I was asking about in picture #2. I think the cripples should be above the header; but many of us disagreed on whether you could put the cripple wall below the header. So that is another possiblility if the header failed.

Come on Jeff, what is the complaint that is before the board, Please? We won't tell. :censored

Possibilities in my view; support studs for the header, headers, tie downs, wall bracing, housewrap brought into the interior garage wall, ditto with the above masonry comments. Now reaching for straws, appears you have a cricket although not certain if necessary due to chimney width, maybe wall height, maybe PT or similar at sill, drop down framing below the header????

They are not done not done yet; I would not pick on electrical plumbing or flashing issues at this point.

If I was there to do a sheathing inspection which I require before the Tyvek is on and the trades come and drill the place full of holes, I when I check for APA wall nailing, perimeter nailing and structural completeness (hangers hold downs, lally columns point load …) the one thing is see it that the Microlam header framed appears to be an APA wall (portal frame) does not seem to carry far enough past the single car garage door and appears not to carry to the exterior corner on the double door side

Props to "Phil" above for being creative with the term "headerette"! Positive

creativity is valued on this forum! :D

Missing house numbers!

Not enough shear wall at outside corner? Missin shear wall strappin!

pc1

Unless I miss my guess, the LVL header extends to the last framing member as required for the narrow portal frame prescriptive design in the RC.

globe trekker said:
The Commish,FWIW,

:D

I understand that, some of the comments seem to assume that more should have been done, when in reality a cetian phase of the project thes thing shold have been done.

here in MA, i can not inspect electrical, plumbing or gas, that is done by seperate qualified ispectors, i just look at the holes the trades put in the structure and if proper repair, rpotectin plates ar installed.

Note that in the center column; the center stud goes all the way to the top; so the header is not continuous across it. The headers are not properly supported.

What I notice is two single portals as permitted in R602.4.1.1; however it appears the center wall is not wide enough; I think this is why Jeff provides the picture that shows us the story above.

Need a BWP not more than 25 ft. R602.10.4.4

2009 IRC

R602.10.3.3 Method PFH: Portal frame with hold-downs. Method PFH braced wall panels constructed in accordance with one of the following provisions are also permitted to replace each 4 feet (1219 mm) of braced wall panel as required by :Next('./icod_irc_2009_6_par039.htm')'>Section R602.10.3 for use adjacent to a window or door opening with a full-length header:

1. Each panel shall be fabricated in accordance with Figure R602.10.3.3. The wood structural panel sheathing shall extend up over the solid sawn or glued-laminated header and shall be nailed in accordance with Figure R602.10.3.3. A spacer, if used with a built-up header, shall be placed on the side of the built-up beam opposite the wood structural panel sheathing. The header shall extend between the inside faces of the first full-length outer studs of each panel. One anchor bolt not less than 5/8-inch-diameter (16 mm) and installed in accordance with :Next('./icod_irc_2009_4_par023.htm')'>Section R403.1.6 shall be provided in the center of each sill plate. The hold-down devices shall be an embedded-strap type, installed in accordance with the manufacturer's recommendations. The panels shall be supported directly on a foundation which is continuous across the entire length of the braced wall line. The foundation shall be reinforced as shown on Figure R602.10.3.2. This reinforcement shall be lapped not less than 15 inches (381 mm) with the reinforcement required in the continuous foundation located directly under the braced wall line.

2. In the first story of two-story buildings, each wall panel shall be braced in accordance with item 1 above, except that each panel shall have a length of not less than 24 inches (610 mm).

R602.10.3.4 Method PFG: at garage door openings in Seismic Design Categories A, B and C. Where supporting a roof or one story and a roof, alternate braced wall panels constructed in accordance with the following provisions are permitted on either side of garage door openings. For the purpose of calculating wall bracing amounts to satisfy the minimum requirements of Table R602.10.1.2(1), the length of the alternate braced wall panel shall be multiplied by a factor of 1.5.

1. Braced wall panel length shall be a minimum of 24 inches (610 mm) and braced wall panel height shall be a maximum of 10 feet (3048 mm).

Could use some feedback. Thanks

Francis

Last edited by a moderator: