• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades
The cable in the picture looks like Southwire URD cable that would be used for a house (SE) service entrance. I have not witnessed this wire being installed in the field to date, but I have seen a yellow striped triplex cable. Not sure how long the solid yellow cable with two black cables has been available? It differently shows up better in a trench.:)

In the OP h3 says he was digging in the backyard and found the cables. Looking at the picture, i am impressed with how clean they are. Or ... was the picture taken before the trench was backfilled?

In the OP h3 says he was digging in the backyard and found the cables. Looking at the picture, i am impressed with how clean they are. Or ... was the picture taken before the trench was backfilled?

Inquiring minds await your answers.