• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Busbar ratings in PV systems

earshavewalls

Bronze Member
I have an ongoing discussion with a PV designer concerning bus ratings on the AC side of the inverters. (2010 California Elect. Code, based on 2008 NEC).

Setting aside 690.54(A)&(B), 705.12(D)(2) (Interconnected Electric Power Production Sources) contains similar verbiage concerning not exceeding 120% of the rating of the busbar based on the ratings of the overcurrent devices in circuits supplying power to the busbar. The argument from the designer is that you can exceed the rating of the busbar as long as no branch circuits (loads) are expressed in the panel. In other words, they feel that they may use load centers as AC combiners for the output of the inverter(s) and do not need to take into account the power from the utility at the busbar(s).

I have trouble going along with this, but at the same time see what they are trying to say.....they are not adding loads to these panels, they are only passing power through them, for the most part in one direction (except for the inverter power from the utility), and they suggested signage on each of the AC load centers stating that no loads are to be installed on these panels (that option is not in the code, either).

I am leaning toward interpreting that they must consider the feeds from BOTH directions (Utility and the PV output) for each AC busbar that are connected to each power supply, even if they add signage dissallowing any loads on these panels.

Any input out there? Give me something that helps their case, if you can......otherwise, I've been right all this time.....and we can't have that!

I think the designer is correct.

The power source would be the PV panels. The load is the utility company.

What the designer is suggesting has been submitted to the CMP on this for several cycles and has been shot down each time since there is no way to guarantee that loads will not be applied to these panels, which are basically AC combiners, but have capability to connect more overcurrent protective devices. The suggestion to provide specific signage and to lock the enclosures (load centers) is not an approved exception anywhere in the code.

We will continue to disallow this method until and unless it becomes acceptable to the code-making community.