• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Business Occupancies

Cara S.

Hello,

I am working on an assignment where I need to verify some building codes according to the OBC (Ontario Building Codes) but there are a few that I cannot locate. If anyone could point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it.
I did find some of these but the language is a little confusing so I'm not totally sure….

(This is for a 2 storeys of a 4 storey office building).

1. Intervening Rooms
- Allowable Rooms:?
- Egress Shall Not Pass Through:?
- Minimum Width:?

2. Public Aisles
- Projection Min. : ?
- Standing Space: ?
- Door/Drawer Space:?

3. Min. Ceiling Height
- General Office Areas: ?
- Means of Egress: ?
- Bathrooms, Toilet Rooms, Kitchens, Storage Rooms, Laundry Rooms:?

Thank you in advance

Cara

1. What do you mean by an intervening room?

Generally, egress from one occupancy cannot travel through another occupancy. This might answer your question.

2. What do you mean by public aisles? Aisles that are located in a suite, or do you have an occupancy in a corridor?

3. There is typically no minimum ceiling heights provided outside of dwelling units.

If the code is silent, it is unregulated and up to the designer.

Are you a student, and this is a class assignment? Just curious.
Yes, I am a 2nd year design interior student.
1. What do you mean by an intervening room?

Generally, egress from one occupancy cannot travel through another occupancy. This might answer your question.

2. What do you mean by public aisles? Aisles that are located in a suite, or do you have an occupancy in a corridor?

3. There is typically no minimum ceiling heights provided outside of dwelling units.

If the code is silent, it is unregulated and up to the designer.
Ya, that's where I'm lost, I'm not sure exactly what these questions mean as I combed through the OBC and found nothing in direct relation. I took 1 of 2 building codes classes so I am somewhat familiar, and I was able to find over half the code requirements, but these last few don't seem to exist in the OBC, perhaps because they don't. ??
Thank you, I'll discuss this with my prof.

Yes, I am a 2nd year design interior student.

Ya, that's where I'm lost, I'm not sure exactly what these questions mean as I combed through the OBC and found nothing in direct relation. I took 1 of 2 building codes classes so I am somewhat familiar, and I was able to find over half the code requirements, but these last few don't seem to exist in the OBC, perhaps because they don't. ??
Thank you, I'll discuss this with my prof.
My prof is in the U.S. so I thought these might pertain to some U.S. building codes

My prof is in the U.S. so I thought these might pertain to some U.S. building codes
I guess that would be the first question to answer: what code does our fictional jurisdiction have adopted? Which version? What are the local amendments (if any)?

Do not know about Canada but the IBC will provide answers in Sections 1016, 1018 and 1207

I guess that would be the first question to answer: what code does our fictional jurisdiction have adopted? Which version? What are the local amendments (if any)?
Well the building is in Toronto, Ontario so I assume that we would refer to the OBC (Ontario Building Code) as we would in reality. I was hoping someone familiar with the OBC might be able to help. Our codes classes also follow the OBC guidelines.

I am back in the office with access to by OBC version of the code. I am assuming this is a Part 3 building.

1. Intervening rooms. There is no definition in the code, nor are there any referenced in the OBC to an "intervening room". A plan or the proper terminology might help drill down on what the instructor is looking for, but without those, it is hard to say what they are concerned about. They might be looking at it as a means of egress/access to exits question, but it is difficult to say.

2. Aisles. Wording is exceptionally important. For example: a public corridor and a corridor used by the public are two different things with different requirements. Without any other information, I would refer to 3.3.1.9.(15), which refers the code user to the fire code. Now, if this is an assembly occupancy, you might be looking for 3.3.2.4., which deals extensively with aisles.

3. Ceiling Height: regulated in a public corridor meeting 3.4.2.5.(1)(d) - this is one of the code sections that lets malls have multiple occupancies without a fire separation between each one.

Hello,

I am working on an assignment where I need to verify some building codes according to the OBC (Ontario Building Codes) but there are a few that I cannot locate. If anyone could point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it.
I did find some of these but the language is a little confusing so I'm not totally sure….

(This is for a 2 storeys of a 4 storey office building).

1. Intervening Rooms
- Allowable Rooms:?
- Egress Shall Not Pass Through:?

2. Public Aisles
- Projection Min. : ?
- Standing Space: ?
- Door/Drawer Space:?

3. Min. Ceiling Height
- General Office Areas: ?
- Means of Egress: ?
- Bathrooms, Toilet Rooms, Kitchens, Storage Rooms, Laundry Rooms:?

Thank you in advance

Cara
Hi Cara,

I am in this class this term and am struggling with the exact things! Wondering if you ever found this information.

Brooke

Hi Cara,

I am in this class this term and am struggling with the exact things! Wondering if you ever found this information.

Brooke
Hi Brooke & Cara, I’m now working on the exact assignment and wondering if either of you found this information after all. It’s been a gruelling two days of searching the OBC unsuccessfully:(