• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

CA Min. Plumbing Facilities - Gender neutral stall

lilydesign

Hi everyone,

I am working on a wine tasting room in California and my occupant load is 39, 20 male/20 females. Looks like I have to provide 1 WC & 1 lavatory per gender as well as a urinal. Does anyone know if I can just provide 1 gender neutral restroom, instead of 2?

Thanks!

Lily

Welcome!!

Give it a few days, it is Friday.

There are some Calif people on the site

I don't know how you are classifying it, but let's say that for sake of discussion, it is A-2 "restaurant or pub"
that requires 1 toilet for 1-50 males and 1 toilet for 1-25 females.
The problem is that with 39 occupants, this indicates that there may be two people needing the toilet room at the same time.
If the ratios had instead said 1 toilet for 1-50 for females (as well as 1:1-50 for males), that might have helped to make your case that with 39 total occupants you would be fine iwht a sinle unisex toielt regardless of how many of the 39 were male vs. female.
My suggestion: Do one gender-neutral ADA restroom that has a toilet, urinal and sink. Then also do a second gender-neutral restroom that is not ADA accessible and has only a toilet and sink.

upload_2020-2-24_12-1-24.png

Most of the "tasting" rooms I have been in are small, more like a M occupancy. Racks and stacks of wine, for sale.
I would say Under 50---B or maybe a M.

Keep it simple, make them both accessible and check with local health/liquor license as to whether a urinal is required or not.