• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Cables for Machine Room-less Elevator

Paul Sweet

Sawhorse
We just had a new machine room-less elevator fail inspection because it had seven 8 mm cables, instead of the three or more 9.5 mm cables required by ASME A17.1-2005 2.20.4. The specs. called for cables to be at least 10 mm, but the A/E missed that when reviewing the shop drawings.

We need to request a code modification allowing the smaller cables. Does anyone know if there are pending amendments to ASME A17.1 that allow the smaller cables, as long as there are more of them? If not, has anyone else had to request a code modification, and how did you justify the request?

Re: Cables for Machine Room-less Elevator

elevators are a delicate balance...

the design professional needs to prove that as installed, it meets the intent..

dropping 10 or more floors in an elevator.. to my death.. is not top on my list of ways to go.

I would rely heavily on the manufacturer. The machine room less units are newer and do not have the extensive track record as do conventional traction or hydraulic.

Paul,

I agree with peach and Coug Dad. I would contact the manufacturer and discuss options. Also, a certified

elevator installer is required to furnish a certifcate that the elevator(s) were installed according to the

manufacturer' specs.

As peach has stated, elevators ARE a delicate balance. They have a bunch of requirements. What is

the number of stories n your application?

MRL elevators are becoming more and more common.. they are smooth riding and stop where they should... but you need to look at what the manufacturer requires and the ASME 17.1 that covers them.. it's a new(er) product. If you are under an older code, it's actually a modification to allow them.

Re: Cables for Machine Room-less ElevatorI submitted a code modification request, based on calculations showing that the steel wire ropes that were used have a factor of safety of 21, which is far more than the elevator code requires, and on proposed changes to the 2010 elevator code to allow smaller steel wire ropes, aramid fiber ropes, and steel reinforced belts.This elevator and the building are both interesting. The building is a college library on the side of a hill in Southwest Virginia, and has some incredible brick sculptures inside. You enter the building o the upper level, which is at the top of the hill, go downstairs, out of the building and across a short bridge, down this elevator about 30 feet, then across another short bridge to the roof of the building below.View from NE 9-19-09.jpg[/attachment:2hbvzvl1]

View attachment 47

View attachment 47

/monthly_2010_05/572953b4321f7_ViewfromNE9-19-09.jpg.07d4858164a37188df6964dc14c6729e.jpg