• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Calif 2010 Residential Code - Vertical distance to wood

MtnArch

Sawhorse
I've searched the forums and have come up a little empty on this.

As I read R317.1(2) I see where any wood framing members closer than 8" to grade are to be protected/preservative treated, but if you provide the protection/preservative treatment, where in the **California Residential Code** would I find the minimum separation distance no matter what? As long as I've been in the architecture business (30+ years) it's always been minimum 6" clear; I'd just like to be able to know the code section that backs it up (or says what it needs to be).

Thanks, everyone, for your help - I really enjoy the help this forum shows in (almost) every post!

Mark -

Just want to make sure about this - R317.1(2) reads:

2. All wood framing members that rest on concrete or masonry exterior foundation walls **and are less than 8 inches (203 mm) from the exposed ground.** (emphasis mine)

Is there another section where it states the separation is to be not less than 8 inches? This one seems to indicate it CAN be less as long as the wood is treated, but doesn't point to what would be the minimum.