• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

California 2-hour party wall question

Derrick Carter

Hi all,
We are doing a project that contains town homes with two hour separation walls between each unit. A year ago we did a similar project, and we ended up the a 4" gap (3.5" min req'd) between walls as part of a 2-hour assembly.
My client is stating that another architect whom she trusts told her the gap required between the two walls is 8.5" per "the earthquake code".

"Earthquake Code"

I have been unable to locate this requirements anywhere. If anything, it looks as though the 2019 CBC is less restrictive at party walls (CBC 706.1.1).

Am I missing something? Can I assume that if I build the units with a 4" gap as part of my 2-hour assembly, that I will be code compliant?

Hi all,
We are doing a project that contains town homes with two hour separation walls between each unit. A year ago we did a similar project, and we ended up the a 4" gap (3.5" min req'd) between walls as part of a 2-hour assembly.
My client is stating that another architect whom she trusts told her the gap required between the two walls is 8.5" per "the earthquake code".

"Earthquake Code"

I have been unable to locate this requirements anywhere. If anything, it looks as though the 2019 CBC is less restrictive at party walls (CBC 706.1.1).

Am I missing something? Can I assume that if I build the units with a 4" gap as part of my 2-hour assembly, that I will be code compliant?

Not into earthquakes moved 40 years ago to tornadoes

What gap does the listing show?

And in case of an earthquake I don’t think four inches will matter in a townhome

Not into earthquakes moved 40 years ago to tornadoes

What gap does the listing show?

And in case of an earthquake I don’t think four inches will matter in a townhome
lol.
If by listing you mean the assembly. The one I prefer is a 2-hour shaft liner with 3/4" gap on each side then the studwalls on each side.

This might be a little harsh ... tell your client you are the AoR for the project and you will design it to meet all codes. If she wants to get another architect involved ... bring out the check book and pay you off, its time to move on.

LA code

1. Where a fire sprinkler system in accordance with Section R313 is not provided, the common wall shallbe not less than a 2-hour fire-resistance-rated wall assembly tested in accordance with ASTM E119 or UL 263.

Let the Calif people answer it next week

Or ask her to get a code reference for you

From The Guy

Let the Calif people answer it next week

Or ask her to get a code reference for you

From The Guy

I have requested she get some sort of code reference to hang our hats on. I have also informed her of the expense and additional work involved of doing such a large gap between units.
Part of me wants to just design it with huge gaps and let it work itself out as we reach condocs and everybody on the team starts asking... protesting. But, I know the code, and I know the correct answer. "Earthquake Code"??? At the end of the day, my name will be on it. I have prepared a little package with code references, 2-hour assembly details, and structural details from a project I have under construction currently with similar situation permitted under 2016 CBC.

There is no earthquake code that requires a 4 inch gap.

"Earthquake Code" is the funny part of that statement. There are seismic requirements that have no bearing on the situation at hand.
There is a 2-hour rating requirement between units and the code states “Fire walls shall be designed and constructed to allow collapse of the structure on either side without collapse of the wall under fire conditions.”

So you end up needing a gap in order to accomplish these two requirements. I have found no code reference requiring 8.5". And it would seem that none of you folks have either.

"Earthquake Code" is the funny part of that statement. There are seismic requirements that have no bearing on the situation at hand.
There is a 2-hour rating requirement between units and the code states “Fire walls shall be designed and constructed to allow collapse of the structure on either side without collapse of the wall under fire conditions.”

So you end up needing a gap in order to accomplish these two requirements. I have found no code reference requiring 8.5". And it would seem that none of you folks have either.

For townhouses?????

“Fire walls shall be designed and constructed to allow collapse of the structure on either side without collapse of the wall under fire conditions.”

California thing???

Plus not sure how you design for that?? Are you talking using like Densglass two hour wall??

For townhouses?????
“Fire walls shall be designed and constructed to allow collapse of the structure on either side without collapse of the wall under fire conditions.”
California thing???
CRC R302.2.6 Structural independence
Each individual townhouse shall be structurally independent.

But it is NOT a CA thing look in your IRC, it should be there.

For townhouses?????

California thing???

Plus not sure how you design for that?? Are you talking using like Densglass two hour wall??

California = no
Densglass = Yes a shaftliner assembly will work.

CRC R302.2.6 Structural independence

But it is NOT a CA thing look in your IRC, it should be there.

Is this the CRC wording:::

With exception:::::::::

R302.2.6 Structural independence

Exceptions:
  1. Foundations supporting exterior walls or common walls.
  2. Structural roof and wall sheathing from each unit fastened to the common wall framing.
  3. Nonstructural wall and roof coverings.
  4. Flashing at termination of roof covering over common wall.
  5. Townhouses separated by a common wall as provided in Section R302.2.2, Item 1 or 2.

Is this the CRC wording:::

With exception:::::::::

R302.2.6 Structural independence

Exceptions:
  1. Foundations supporting exterior walls or common walls.
  2. Structural roof and wall sheathing from each unit fastened to the common wall framing.
  3. Nonstructural wall and roof coverings.
  4. Flashing at termination of roof covering over common wall.
  5. Townhouses separated by a common wall as provided in Section R302.2.2, Item 1 or 2.
Exception 5, item 2 is interesting.

by using a approved rated 2 hour wall design and assembly, with structural l independence for each side.

google 2 hour rated gypsum wall

by using a approved rated 2 hour wall design and assembly, with structural l independence for each side.

google 2 hour rated gypsum wall

Agree

Sorry was talking about densglass type shaft liner

“””I have used the National Gypsum 2 hour assembly that uses channel s well. Worked great.””

"So with H Channel
How does one side fall down and on stay up??"

The assemblies designed as firewalls have aluminum clips on both sides to connect the gypsum board to the structure. If one side catches the aluminum clips on that side melt so the framing can fall away without pulling the gypsum board down with it.