• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

California 2-hour party wall question

"So with H Channel
How does one side fall down and on stay up??"

The assemblies designed as firewalls have aluminum clips on both sides to connect the gypsum board to the structure. If one side catches the aluminum clips on that side melt so the framing can fall away without pulling the gypsum board down with it.

https://www.clarkdietrich.com/products/specialty-clips-connectors/aluminum-burn-clip-ab

Well isn't that interesting, learn something everyday, And I have been looking at Densglass two hour walls/ not my responsibility, for awhile and I was told the clips were there for another reason.

Thanks!!!

Last edited:
Or you could build separate masonry walls (or other load bearing walls) for each unit with a 1/4” gap. Several ways to skin this cat without the clients friend calling the inaccurate shots.