• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Can a second story door lead to a flat roof without a railing?

Our permit shows a 3' x8' fixed window - I wanted to see if I could change it to a door legitimately vs just changing it to a door after inspection. Trying to do things by the book but the city and inspectors make it complicated sometimes.
Dishonesty seems to be a common reaction to finding out that a dumb idea is a code violation.

As a building official, I have allowed a door to a flat roof area because the door was for roof access, and it was labeled, "Maintenance Only - Authorized Personnel Only". No guard rails were required because the door was more than 10 feet away from the roof edge.

Our permit shows a 3' x8' fixed window - I wanted to see if I could change it to a door legitimately vs just changing it to a door after inspection. Trying to do things by the book but the city and inspectors make it complicated sometimes.
You are looking for a way to curcomvent the code.
You are asking code officials to give you the green light.
Now look at your liability, someone gets drunk or some 5-year olds go on the roof through an illegally placed door, then falls to their death, who is responsible. You, only you.
Foolish foolish people.

They will not allow you to use that flat roof as usable space because of the proximity to the property lines. The idea that you are trying to convert what was a window when approved for permit in the guise of providing equipment access when it leads to a ladder is dubious at best. Your best option is to install a window that would allow them to climb out when they want to go sit on their "deck".

And CYA because when the AirBNB guest fall off you may be liable if you keep heading in the direction your going

Last edited:
I wonder if non use is in an ordinance??

It is not in the base IRC??? Is it?

I know that this thread is most likely dead, but I would like to tell a story related to this topic. A close friend of mine bought a house recently which had a story door leading to a flat roof just like in your case, but he didn't notice how old the roof was. One day he made a barbecue party on that roof and at one point it cracked. Nobody fell through, but the consequences could have been much worse, so I would recommend you check the quality of your roof and get a new one in case your roof is old and bad.

Never got an answer?
Is the roof and supporting elements, designed as a floor and elements designed to support the floor?

R501.2 Requirements

Floor construction shall be capable of accommodating all loads in accordance with Section R301 and of transmitting the resulting loads to the supporting structural elements.

Are there Guards?

Guards R312.1.1 Where Required

Guards shall be provided for those portions of open-sided walking surfaces, including stairs, ramps and landings, that are located more than 30 inches measured vertically to the floor or grade below at any point within 36 inches horizontally to the edge of the open side. Insect screening shall not be considered as a guard.

There a lot of good reasons not to do what you're describing, many of which are posted here. We know that many people do whatever they want after we sign off and walk away, at their own risk and liability. You're asking the AHJ to "legitimize" your door or you'll just do it after inspection. Where would liability land in either case? If done unpermitted than it's clearly the HO's liability and responsibility.

Yeah I'm betting they didn't like what we had to say so they went looking somewhere else. It cracks me up when some people don't get the answer they like they threaten to do it anyways making us out to be the big bag government taking away their civil liberties.

Thanks Mark H, I was looking for the posters response from his AHJ.
Yours will do.

Along with the Building Codes, common sense goes a long way. A door to a flat roof without a railing seems to me like an invitation for someone to go out there and an accident waiting to happen.
Window would be a similar invitation too. If you provide it, they will usae it.

They will not allow you to use that flat roof as usable space because of the proximity to the property lines. The idea that you are trying to convert what was a window when approved for permit in the guise of providing equipment access when it leads to a ladder is dubious at best. Your best option is to install a window that would allow them to climb out when they want to go sit on their "deck".

And CYA because when the AirBNB guest fall off you may be liable if you keep heading in the direction your going
Voices of logic from both posters, you choose your risk level and then you sell it and someone falls, then what?