• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Can an Occupant Evacuation Elevator be the only means of egress?

es_schemmel

I'm currently working on a 2019 IBC code analysis for a 100' observation tower. It's established that its a type B occupancy class and that it complies with 1006.2 for egress. What is tripping me up is whether 1006.3 will allow for a single exit or not. It is a singular, open air platform (story?) served by one set of stairs (run length < 300') and an Occupant Evacuation elevator (1009.4 and 1009.6.4 compliant). From my understanding, 1006.3 allows a single exit if the common path of egress is < 100' for our use. 1003.7 allows for our elevator to act as a means of egress - will this satisfy the requirement on its own?

I ASSUME that an evac elevator qualifies as an exit, but I have never done one......If not, I would ask for a modification based on the unique type and use of the structure.....Observation tower for......?

Makes me think of the space needle in Seattle. I haven't been there in a long time, I'd love to go again and look at it with codes and engineering in mind...

I read a long article in NFPA Journal on this subject regarding the Stratosphere in Las Vegas. Might be some help.