1. Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by clicking here: Upgrades
    Dismiss Notice

Can you place a manufactured home on a basement foundation in NC?

Discussion in 'Residential Foundation Codes' started by Drzdrew, Jun 14, 2020.

1. Drzdrew

Drzdrew Registered User

Don't know if this is the right place to ask but cant find anything onlinr about this. So me and my wife are looking into purchasing a manufactured home and putting it on a basement, I've seen many houses done this way with no problems but one of the guys at my local dealer said that they cant do it anymore because of code. I can't find anything online about this and I've not had a chance to go to any other dealers to talk to them about it. If you can't we will habe to go the modular route which will be co considerably more expensive. Thanks

2. cda

cda Sawhorse

Welcome

The best answer is to ask the building offical, in the city or county you want to do it in.

I would wonder about sealing between the two. Guess it can be done.

3. Drzdrew

Drzdrew Registered User

It can be done, I have some family who have a house done like that but the guy said they cant do it anymore. I'll try to find the right person to talk to just thought id ask if anyone knew.

4. cda

cda Sawhorse

Check back for answers

I don’t think we have anyone from NC , but you should still get some answers

It looks like NC uses the international residential code chapter 4 covers foundations

5. Keystone

Keystone Registered User

I’m in Pa., What your asking is permitted by the many manufacturers I’ve worked with. The company will need to be involved as they are the design professional for the dwelling to assure all load points are supported per their requirements. This will likely be at an additional cost.

my250r11 likes this.
  6. ADAguy

ADAguy Registered User

Think of it like a bridge, will it clear span the widest point of your basement or will it require interior posts?

7. TheCommish

TheCommish Sawhorse

there is a difference between a mobile home and a manufactures home, manufactured home can be design to be installed over any type of foundation with appropriate support and center beam if needed, the wheel frame is for transportation only and removable. Mobile homes the wheel frame is part of the structure and except for the tongue remains on the unit when installed.

ADAguy likes this.
  8. Drzdrew

Drzdrew Registered User

Thanks, were going to go talk to another dealer this weekend and tour some homes. I'm gonna write down a list of questions I have and see about what ways we can order the house to save money and stay out of as much debt as we can.

9. cda

cda Sawhorse

Check with the local county or city, depending on where you are setting

BEFORE you sign any papers

my250r11 likes this.
  10. Paul Sweet

Paul Sweet Sawhorse

Check with zoning. Some jurisdictions might allow a manufactured home on a permanent foundation in a residential area, but many limit manufactured homes to rural areas or trailer parks.

my250r11 likes this.
  11. ADAguy

ADAguy Registered User

Are manufactureds seprately licensed in your state vs single & doublewides?
    I insatlling over a basement a permit will be required.

12. Drzdrew

Drzdrew Registered User

My property is in a rural area. The total pop of my county is like 10k people. So zoning isn't an issue. My piece is part of a larger 100ish acre plot my family owns.

13. cda

cda Sawhorse

check with the county you are in

In 1977the General Assembly decided to impose on counties and cities the primary obligation to perform inspections to ensure compliance with applicable building codes. Counties/cities could perform this duty either by creating their own inspection department, or creating a joint inspection department with a city or another county, or contracting with another county/city to provide inspection services to the requesting county/city.

https://www.ncrec.gov/Pdfs/bicar/Permits.pdf