• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Can You Prescriptively Frame a House Nominal Lumber Using Screws?

Prescriptively?

I'm too tired to look it up but my recollection is that there are no prescriptive fastener tables in the IRC for screws with conventional dimension lumber, so my off-the-cuff answer is "No."

Yes and no,​
Screws, not sized per IRC but​
Simpson SDWS Framing screws are designed and load-rated for replacing 16d, 10d and 8d nails in framing applications. The SDWS Framing screw is 0.160" in diameter and superior to nails in holding power and pull-out resistance. It is code listed under IAPMO UES ER-192 and meets the IRC and IBC code requirements for several common wood framing applications.​
you do not need engineering, but it is an alternate method, allowed by code​

Yes and no,​
Screws, not sized per IRC but​
Simpson SDWS Framing screws are designed and load-rated for replacing 16d, 10d and 8d nails in framing applications. The SDWS Framing screw is 0.160" in diameter and superior to nails in holding power and pull-out resistance. It is code listed under IAPMO UES ER-192 and meets the IRC and IBC code requirements for several common wood framing applications.​
you do not need engineering, but it is an alternate method, allowed by code​
I wonder how much cost the added labor would bring to a typical SFR.....

The main problem with screws is that nails can bend before failing when overloaded, but screws are more brittle and likely to snap, Deck screws have negligible side loads so this isn't a problem with them.

Screws that are designed and have been tested for shear loading can be used instead of nails as long as they have the same or greater strength as the nails in the code tables. If I were a building official I would want to see the manufacturer's data before approving them, and would want to check that the correct ones are actually being used on the job.

Here is the real question?

Cost: Nail Gun vs Screw Gun?

I venture the nail gun has a distinct advantage....

Disregarding the economics, is there consensus for Mark Handler's post - that screws are permitted for light wood framing?

I had someone frame an entire freaking two-storey building using wood screws. They were *adamant* that screws were superior.

Eventually, I had them drive a three-inch screw 1" deep into wood, and do the same for a nail. Then apply perpendicular force to both.... Then I printed the nailing table for them ("It's called 'the nailing table' for a reason.).

Sometimes I'm a building inspector. More often than I care to reflect upon, I'm a freaking carpentry school on wheels.

Here is the real question?

Cost: Nail Gun vs Screw Gun?

I venture the nail gun has a distinct advantage....
That was not the Question asked, so it is not the "REAL" question, it is your question.
I did not say it was better, or cheaper.
Can you ? YES, if you accept the alternate means allowed by code, and the research report.