• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Can you read architect? clarify this footing/pier is frost protected?

I saw the note. If you don't know where grade is, how do you what's deep enough?
In the end, one could simply fail the footing/ pier inspection. However, the final revision that came back makes enough sense for a foundation worker. There was a side view of the home that roughly( but not in specific elevation) show the grade. the plot plan had elevations..

Last edited:
A note on the drawing or a section showing that footings are below frost depth. And I've just noted that drains led to daylight and never questioned.

I feel sorry for you that you think everyone is trying to break the law and not comply with code.
I saw a note in the title block stating frost line depth was 36”. I did not see a note telling the builder to place the bottom of footings at or below frost line depth.
Now pretend I’m one of those thousands of Californians who fled the once-Golden State, bought a house in Missouri, and am building the deck myself. I’ve got plenty of home construction experience but never had to deal with frost before in my life, so I don’t know what “frost line depth” has to do with anything. How do I know the bottom of footing elevation?

Did you look at all the drawings? I always show footings on elevations with dashed lines and note minimum depth on sections. I also include a requirement in the specifications (which are on the last sheet or 2 of the drawings) for footings to be at least 24" below finish grade or 12" below existing grade, whichever is greater.

I saw a note in the title block stating frost line depth was 36”. I did not see a note telling the builder to place the bottom of footings at or below frost line depth.
Now pretend I’m one of those thousands of Californians who fled the once-Golden State, bought a house in Missouri, and am building the deck myself. I’ve got plenty of home construction experience but never had to deal with frost before in my life, so I don’t know what “frost line depth” has to do with anything. How do I know the bottom of footing elevation?
I'm use to working with competent people who are familiar with codes and standards. If those were my plans - owner or designer - I'd know if the contractor knew that footings go at or below frost depth. If any doubt I'd ask or simply tell them.

I guess I'm just not that used to working with incompetent and dishonest and conniving people.

I'm use to working with competent people who are familiar with codes and standards. If those were my plans - owner or designer - I'd know if the contractor knew that footings go at or below frost depth. If any doubt I'd ask or simply tell them.

I guess I'm just not that used to working with incompetent and dishonest and conniving people.

You are singularly blessed.

I'm in a jurisdiction where we had a guy who purports to be an architect (even though he isn't licensed) who submitted plans for an office building in which the second floor needed two exits -- and the only route to the second exit was THROUGH the first exit. He genuinely didn't understand why we rejected the plans.

Then there's the engineer who doesn't understand that a second story occupying 100% of the area of the space below it isn't a mezzanine just because he labeled it "Mezzanine," so he can't have just one unenclosed exit.

It goes on.

Did you look at all the drawings? I always show footings on elevations with dashed lines and note minimum depth on sections. I also include a requirement in the specifications (which are on the last sheet or 2 of the drawings) for footings to be at least 24" below finish grade or 12" below existing grade, whichever is greater.
For purposes of getting our responses, the OP only uploaded one drawing. If is states bottom of footing elevation somewhere, anywhere, on the other sheets of plans, either with an absolute number (elev. above sea level), or relative (36 below adjacent finished grade), or even on a performance basis ("place bottom of footing below frost line"), I would be totally fine with that.

bill1952, I practice in one of the most litigious areas of the country. We also have a huge "churn" in our construction labor force, where those with intermediate experience migrate to other states that have more stable, less of a boom-or-bust construction economy. When the boom hits again, we get a new cohort of labor that is largely inexperienced, or is ESL, or both. As a result, we cannot rely on the experience of construction laborers to be familiar with codes, standards or even with common terminology (such as how "deep" is a footing).

With that in mind, the construction documentation has to be sufficient enough to be defensible: If the deck were to fail, someone ought to be able to see that the plans successfully stated the DPOR's design intent in a manner that is not up for misinterpretation.