• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Canopy vertical distance from oven

blugosi

I have a question on the vertical distance of a canopy and the 4 feet maximum defines in 507.4.1

“507.4.1 Canopy Size and Location

The inside lower edge of canopy-type Type I and II commercial hoods shall overhang or extend a horizontal distance of not less than 6 inches (152 mm) beyond the edge of the top horizontal surface of the appliance on all open sides. The vertical distance between the front lower lip of the hood and such surface shall not exceed 4 feet (1219 mm)”

When we have a pizza oven, where does the vertical distance start? Top or bottom?

I have a case where the owner has installed two pizza ovens, one on top of the other. They also have a warming chamber under these two ovens.

Do we measure from the bottom oven top, or from its bottom surface inside?
This is a photo of the actual ovens: https://c.gmx.net/@826845433878813477/kftkfqUcSZGzDOKmTqzdyA

California Mechanical Code states "48" above the cooking surface". These convection ovens do not have a cooking surface in the traditional sense. The code that you have quoted states "top horizontal surface of the appliance" The electric ovens will not produce smoke or products of combustion and I wondered if the hood is required. So I did a Google search and came up with this: https://www.thebuildingcodeforum.com/forum/threads/electric-convection-oven-hood.6814/

I was not able to determine if stacking the ovens with such a small gap is appropriate. The manual is available here: https://www.wasserstrom.com/restaurant-supplies-equipment/cadco-xaf-193-full-size-rossella-manual-convection-oven-605113

Here is your picture. If a hood is required, this hood appears to be too narrow.

IMG_20220614_132551.jpg

Last edited:
You are right about the canopy width.Their mechanical engineer argued that the 6 inch overhang is applied to the oven front face only and not the sides, but I haven't agreed to that.
I have already asked them to replace the hood with a wider one, but I am not sure this is all it takes.
These electric ovens are used for pizzas and when the front door opens , a lot of greasy steam comes out.
I believe that these fumes are exactly what the hood should catch.
And I also believe that we should count the vertical distance from the bottom oven bottom.
I will keep researching this, than you!

These electric ovens are used for pizzas and when the front door opens , a lot of greasy steam comes out.
That would be reason enough to measure the 48" maximum distance to the top of the door. There is a mechanism to inject a water spray into the cooking chamber to control humidity but the likelihood of a steam release is not proven. I have two convection ovens and neither produces fumes or steam. While I don't cook pizza there are many other moist foods coming out vapor free. Well that's according to the cook anyway.

I would definitely measure the vertical distance from the top of the bottom oven also, and the code specifically says "on all open sides" regarding the 6" overhang. Keep in mind that if the hood is listed to UL710 the IMC exempts the hood from those sections and refers you to the listing of the hood. Those distances will be right on the hood nameplate.