• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Can't flatten documents from some architects

jar546

Forum Coordinator
I am unable to flatten or provide security for some documents that come from architects or engineers that have digitally signed them in many cases. I don't feel comfortable releasing stamped drawings that I cannot at least flatten. Is there a work around for this?

I am unable to flatten or provide security for some documents that come from architects or engineers that have digitally signed them in many cases. I don't feel comfortable releasing stamped drawings that I cannot at least flatten. Is there a work around for this?
Save it as a image, in your computer. Then resave as a pdf.

Digital signatures are a puzzle for me as well. I think there is a way in adobe to get rid of them. Then you can open the file in BB and they are gone. I will play with it to see if I remember how. I am going to try Marks idea too. If I get a secured plan in I reject it. I also won't send out any plan without flattening it. I also place my own security on the plans so that they can't be altered, have pages removed or added. BTW, I also place a batch stamp/watermark on every page so that it can easily be identified as a part of the plan set.

Easiest fix that I have found is to print to file. Do your markups, then do the typical print command. When the print screen comes up, select Bluebeam PDF. Follow the prompts to save the file where you want it. File is flattened and cannot be unflattened.

upload_2020-4-14_7-40-58.png

Easiest fix that I have found is to print to file. Do your markups, then do the typical print command. When the print screen comes up, select Bluebeam PDF. Follow the prompts to save the file where you want it. File is flattened and cannot be unflattened.

Perfect, I will try that.

Perfect, I will try that.
That method will sometimes work if the design professionals e-stamp will not let you mark-up as well; just do the print to file first.

We also developed an e-doc standard that we share with applicants. If it isn't set up right and we can't get it to work, we will not accept it for review.

That method will sometimes work if the design professionals e-stamp will not let you mark-up as well; just do the print to file first.

We also developed an e-doc standard that we share with applicants. If it isn't set up right and we can't get it to work, we will not accept it for review.

I am coming across that more and more. I hope that there will be a workflow for this in the future as both the design professional and plans examiner both have a vested interest in keeping their seal protected and the document that the seal is on. I like to look at this as layers because the are not changing the document, we are simply adding markups and/or stamps then flattening that down over what they already have. I can't place my stamp underneath their drawing text, for example. I can only place it over the top anyway.

I did not bother because I don't have a printer large enough. I do have a lot of experience with editing photos, however. The good news is that the Print to PDF option works best and I can print to the original size, typically 36x24 and it works well. I do appreciate the idea, however. I have done that in the past for smaller items.