• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Cantankerous Old Man get Job

Most of us have been there before.

Going into an area that historically has never had building codes or any type of enforcement is a rough road, but a rewarding challenge for the right person.

A heavy-handed approach will fail every time, but hand-holding is a proven technique.

It requires lots of patience, a supportive City Council, and, at a minimum, a .45 caliber handgun for self-preservation.

Good luck and let us know if we can help.

Congratulatioins - UB. Will you sound the early warning alarms on the twisters so those of us in Kansas can get indoors?

Best to ya in your new position!

Darren

UB: We are all here to help each other! What ever you need anytime you need it. Post some problems! It will make for some good debate.

Just don't listen to CA and Beach! LOL And you can count on FM, FAtboy, Jeff and the rest! Pack may toss a hand grenade in the room every now and again.

Uncle Bob, Welcome back to the fray. Hope you're not in the State pension plan though (see my new topic posted today...). Good luck to you (and your new jurisdiction ;-) ). Keep them on their toes, take names and kick a$$.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Again Ya'll,

Pack, I've BO'ed a small town in Texas before (3 years) and I know what you mean; especially about the hand holding).

I'll be providing the information necessary (plant the seeds); and, be the source of information they request and need to develop what is needed for the community. ;)

I'll be depending on ya'll to keep me on the straight and narrow.

Uncle Bob

Congarats, UB!

As someone who is the entire department plus assisting with planning, I can attest to how busy things can get. ;)

Sue, in sunny CA

Uncle Bob said:
[i'll be depending on ya'll to keep me on the straight and narrow.[/size]Uncle Bob
Yeah right!!! You being on the straight and narrow??? :)

Mule said:

Yeah right!!! You being on the straight and narrow??? :smile:
Go on and preach it Mule! :D

There's no way that we can keep our Uncle on any straight and narrow. :lol:

Lord help that municipality. There's a storm a comin' !!

And they thought the tornadoes are bad in Oklahoma!!! Just wait! After UB gets through with his builders they will think a tornadoe is nothing but a wet fart!

Nice job Bob. Do you get a gun or do you have to supply your own???? Seriously though, I hope this new spot will make you happier. A challenge is always interesting. All the best.

UB: Way to go! You can't keep a good man down! Glad you are back in the saddle and doing what you love! Enjoy!

"Permit! Permit! I don't need no stinking permit!" Where did you come from anyway? Oklahoma! Oklahoma!

Go get'em Uncle!

pc1