• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

CBC 1134A.2 route "into and THROUGH" nonadaptable bathroom

Yikes

Gold Member
CBC 1134A.2 for private housing allows for an "Option #2", where only one bathroom in a covered multifamily dwelling needs adaptable fixtures (features #1-7).
However, it says "when Option 2 is used all additional bathrooms must comply with Items 8 through 12 above", and item 8 says "Bathrooms shall be provided with an accessible route into and through the bathroom."

What is the implication of the word "through" for these bathrooms? Most bathrooms only have one doorway, and the bathroom is a dead-end space - - you don't pass through the bathroom in order to get to another room. There is no mention of a wheelchair turnaround space, and I don't think the code intended a turnaround, otherwise it would have explicitly said it, as it does for other spaces (example:1127A.2.1.1).I can understand the word "into", but I don't know what the word "through" means to the design of the bathroom.

1635179908594.png
1635179970651.png

Many bathrooms in residential units are what they call "Jack and Jill" bathrooms. These are bathrooms situated between two bedrooms and are accessed by both bedrooms. Thus, the path through the bathroom between the two bedrooms would need to comply with accessible route requirements.

Also, many closets are located with access from the bathroom and not from the bedroom. Therefore, an accessible route must be provided to allow access to the closet.

At least that is how I would interpret that item.

RLGA, that makes sense. From this, I can infer that if I have an additional bathroom beyond option #2, and it is not Jack and Jill and does not have access to other spaces such as closets, then the bathroom only needs an accessible path into, but not through, the bathroom.

For example, if a 34" clear opening door swung outward into the hallway, and there was 18" strike side clearance on the swing side, then the front of the wheelchair needs to be able to roll a little ways into the bathroom, and that's all that's needed for this extra bathroom to be 11A compliant.

Yikes you may not be old enough as some of us who grew up with Jack n Jill's. Check pre 40's plan books and you will see lots of them.

Yikes you may not be old enough as some of us who grew up with Jack n Jill's. Check pre 40's plan books and you will see lots of them.
Now you're making me wax nostalgic:
I vacationed at my grandpa's 2-bedroom beach house on Balboa Island, which had a Jack and Jill between the bedrooms. I got a lot of lectures about remembering to unlock both doors when I was done done using the bathroom!

BTW, he bought his lot in 1934 for $450. The real estate promoter with Jimmy Cagney. The deal was, buy 2 lots for about $750 total and they'd throw in a bay front lot for free! That was before the sea wall was built, so bay front lots were almost worthless anyway.
But it was the middle of the depression, so just purchasing the one lot was already a big stretch.

The house left the family in the 1980s, back when Balboa Island was still considered "affordable housing" for UC Irvine students during fall-spring sessions.
Those of you from So Cal know the median home price down there is now around $4 million.