• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

CBO 3 part exam

William T Smith

HA! Not long enough. 2 months and 2 days, but as a "Codes Enforcement Officer", and as Animal Control and Environmental Control at that. My county panicked and signed me up for the provisional license. Now i have the 60 day window to pass a module. I am learning Legal may be the best. I am in for it I think! I always have found forums and associations to be the best real source of info!
In my state, WV the provisional is 2 years. Check your state and see who controls that.( Fire Marshall, State Board, etc. ) Can't hurt to double check.
Best of luck. @ 6 months you're gonna need it brother

archer

Greetings gentlemen. I am new here and just passed my legal module for the CBO. I am starting to study for the management test. I'm looking for practice tests, study guides or anything else that would aid in passing. For anyone that has not passed the Legal module. Let me know and I can pass on what I have that would help.

Thanks

archer

New to the site and I am searching for help from others that have endured the new CBO exam nightmare. I am just now starting to study for the management portion of the exam and I cannot find anything that would give me an idea of what types of questions they are asking. Is there any of you guy/gals that have taken the test and could possibly show me what direction I need to go in. I do in return have some notes on the legal portion that I would be more than willing to share in return.

Thanks in advance.

Dutyman

Archer, did you take your MM exam yet? I passed mine and can offer some study suggestions. I'm scheduled to take the Legal exam next month.

Dutyman

No, Not yet. I'm studying for it now. I can do the same with the legal exam for you.

Here are some of the main areas that were covered. Most of the questions actually referenced the book that the question was for.
Budgeting: Go through the budget types and budget cycles. Get to know all the fund types and what they are used for as well. Know the equity types, finance dept duties and financial reports.
HR: Go through hiring process, performance evaluations and HR software systems and their uses.
Management: Go through supervisor/building officials roles, supervisor expectations from employees and evaluating employees
Inspector skills: Inspectors main role as an educator, customer service regarding listening and complaints, communication.
Only a few questions on IBC and IFC regarding who gets notice for violations and posting notices.
If anything else pops in my mind, ill add to it but this covers a majority of the topics. I hope this helps!

rktect 1

Gold Member
Uhg. I just signed up with Pronto to do athe FB module. Trying to take all three of these within the next 30 days or so. Anybody do the PRonto online test?

Kurt

I'm just starting this myself, and wanted to know what books I need for each exam and any recommendations.

Rpitre

Greetings gentlemen. I am new here and just passed my legal module for the CBO. I am starting to study for the management test. I'm looking for practice tests, study guides or anything else that would aid in passing. For anyone that has not passed the Legal module. Let me know and I can pass on what I have that would help.

Thanks

Rpitre

Thanks
I'm studying for legal right now,can you please pass me on what you have to help me with legal. My email address is, myboyhaven@hotmail.com. l would appreciate all the help. Thank you.

Thanks

Thanks

Rpitre

I'm studying for legal right now,can you please pass me on what you have to help me with legal. My email address is, myboyhaven@hotmail.com. l would appreciate all the help. Thank you.

Here are some of the main areas that were covered. Most of the questions actually referenced the book that the question was for.
Budgeting: Go through the budget types and budget cycles. Get to know all the fund types and what they are used for as well. Know the equity types, finance dept duties and financial reports.
HR: Go through hiring process, performance evaluations and HR software systems and their uses.
Management: Go through supervisor/building officials roles, supervisor expectations from employees and evaluating employees
Inspector skills: Inspectors main role as an educator, customer service regarding listening and complaints, communication.
Only a few questions on IBC and IFC regarding who gets notice for violations and posting notices.
If anything else pops in my mind, ill add to it but this covers a majority of the topics. I hope this helps!
I'm studying for legal right now,do you have any thing I can use to help me with my legal. Thanks Rob.

Saugie53

Hi Everyone, I see there are many posts on this but only a few with info. I, along with many others recently it seems, am just about to start trying to take all 3 exams required in order to get my CBO Certification. I was planning on starting with the Management Module, then the Legal Module and finishing with the Building Codes and Standards Module. I have purchased all of the books stated in the exam info on the ICC website for all 3 exams but like many others have said both the Human Resources and the Budgeting Books are tough reads. I was hoping someone who has recently taken the exams could point me to the sections of the books I should be focusing on because committing those entire books to memory is not an easy task and I cant find any decent study guides for each module that would give me an idea of what types of questions will be asked and what sections to pay more attention to trying to remember. If anyone has any tips/info they could give me I would really appreciate it!

Shoe0811

I couldn’t get ahold of a study guide. But what I did was read all the non code books cover to cover minus the budgeting book, because ya know... it was written by accountant nerds. That one I only got familiar with the TOC like any code book. If you can, take the Legal and Management same day since you have almost all the same books. I did this and passed them same day so no need to go another and drag 90% of them again. The BC&S exam took me three attempts.

Email me and I can explain better.

Saugie53

Thanks, That is a good tip about taking both the same day...I am planning on taking the tests through pronto (I used it when I took the B1 residential inspector exam and it was pretty nice to be able to do it all from my house) but if you think the legal and management were similar and they do use some of the same books maybe taking them both the same day will keep some of the questions from one in my mind while taking the other