• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

CBO Legal/Management Study Guide

Welcome to the forum, glad you joined in!!

So the study guide helped you to successfully pass the CBO test?

fatboy said:
Welcome to the forum, glad you joined in!! So the study guide helped you to successfully pass the CBO test?
Thanks Fatboy.

Yes, I did pass the test after only studying the sections listed in the guide. Although, I focused more on studying the Legal Aspects, Bldg Dept Admin, and Human Resources, rather than everything listed. I think the best use of the guide came from narrowing down what to study in the Bldg Dept Admin book. You can see that it only suggests studying about half of the book. Chapters 1 through 5 of that book are basically an advertisement for ICC and its services, and Chapters 18 through 21 is mostly housing codes and sustainability. I don't recall any questions that were outside of those chapters listed.

As for the others, I played the odds (percentages) and didn't even read Basic Code Enforcement or The Budgeting Guide, I just familiarized myself with the Table of Contents and layout of the books. Looking back, I probably should have read the budgeting guide because there were more questions from that book than I expected.

Good luck tomorrow mjesse, remember to take your time & fully read the question, that helped me out.

Passed the test Saturday.

I understand each test is supposedly made up of a random assortment of questions, and I think the OP's study guide is fairly accurate.

However, here are my additional observations;

Be familiar with the index of each of the books. Most of the questions I was unsure of, were quickly answered by searching the index.

In order of relevance, over 90% of my questions were from:

1- Legal aspects

2- (tie) Human Resource Mgmt.

2- (tie) Budgeting Guide

3- Bldg. Dept. Admin.

My best test taking tip - Answer the ones you know, flag the ones you're unsure of and come back to them after you've gone through the whole test. Don't get hung up on one question in the middle of the test, flag it and move on.

After you've gone through the whole test once, you'll have a good grasp on how much time you have available to further search for answers to the unknowns.

mj, cbo ;)

Congragulations, welcome to the club. Did you learn the secret handshake yet?

Sent from my SCH-I925 using Tapatalk

congrats.. how many of the budget questions were the same question asked differently?

There were a handful of "restated" questions.

And, as I have found with many tests, subsequent questions often provide answers to previous ones. Always leave yourself the opportunity to go back through the questions a second time.

mj

:grin:Congrats mjesse and thank you both for the advice. Going to take the test before the end of the year. Began reading the Building Dept Admin book page by page (somebody shoot me now!)

Mr.Inspector said:
:grin:Congrats mjesse and thank you both for the advice. Going to take the test before the end of the year. Began reading the Building Dept Admin book page by page (somebody shoot me now!)
EDIT: Test scheduled for Nov 23! Time to hit the books!

Mr.Inspector said:
The Building Dept Admin book is by far the best read so far out of all of them.

Mr.Inspector said:
The Building Dept Admin book is by far the best read so far out of all of them.
I thought the Human Resource Management book was good also. The Basic Code Enforcement book seems to be written for remedial students.

Good luck Saturday, keep us posted.

Mr.Inspector said:
EDIT: Test scheduled for Nov 23! Time to hit the books!
Good luck with the exam. I passed these last year I believe. One of the recommended books, I don't recall which, was utterly worthless.

Being familiar with the cases in Legal Aspects is helpful.

If you have no idea, guessing "B" is a good way to go.

I recall one quesion regarding budgeting that I never did figure out the answer to. I looked everywhere I could think of following the test, but to no avail.

Well I have thoroughly inundated myself with the legal aspects of code administration. I have read all the prescribed books cover to cover(except for the basic code enforcement one. If you don't know all that by now you should reconsider taking the test!). Went through the online course. Even had a a real live event today regarding a disgruntled tenant and landlord dispute involving the life safety provisions of egress and smoke alarms in a "studio apartment". The building/apt was fine. Another tenant trying to get out of their lease early. The tenant was upset that the landlord knew who filed the complaint. :rolleyes: Not sure how one is expected to keep the complainant anonymous when it is a complaint about the unit they are residing in! Anyhow test on Saturday. Looking forward to getting this one passed. I feel prepared. Never easy.:-D

:cheers Passed the Legal management test today! Definitely more challenging than any other so far. Interesting format. Went from a lot of human resource questions to how much square feet is allowed before high piled combustible storage requires an operational permit?:banghd. Happy Happy. :D

Well, congratulations my friend!

I also felt that it was the most challenging of all the tests I have taken to date. Good job!

Now I have something else to justify that 8k raise I am supposed to be getting! Have to say I feel like I know a lot more now than I did before I read the books. Good stuff to know and refer to for future Building Office endeavors.

I know this is an old post, but I cannot seem to open this pdf. Can you e-mail it to me at ...

Last edited by a moderator: